mtbr member

Getting a fuel ex8!

i wanted to if the 07's are made in usa like the older fuels? also is there any problems i shold know about before i buy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Great choice, I've had mine now for about 3 months and absolutely love it. Mine has a 'Handmade in the USA' sticker so pretty sure they still are, although I think some of the lower range Fuel's might be made in Asia, not 100% sure though. No major problems to speak of that I've experienced anyway, I've changed the grips, saddle and tyres. Found the grips too hard, saddle a little uncomfortable on longer rides and tyres (tires in the US!!) not much use unless it's bone dry terrain with no loose stuff. The one criticism I could level at the bike is that the paint quality is pretty bad. I was warned about it beforehand so had clear adhesive patches ready to put on any potential cable rub spots, yours may come with these supplied, mine didn't, no big deal. The paint elewhere scratches pretty easy but at the end of the day it's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned, my bike is for riding, not for looking at, and my God is it fun to ride! Super plush fork and rear suspension, utterly confidence inspiring, absolutely love it!! Congrats, great choice.

mtbr member
    I think the frames are mostly all made in the US.

I've had a EX8 for about 2 months now and I love it.
    My religion is simple. My religion is kindness. - Dali Lama

mtbr member
    Double post.
    My religion is simple. My religion is kindness. - Dali Lama

You got any chocolate?
    There are a few threads floating about this. As per Trek, ALL FULL SUSPENSION bikes (doesn't matter if it is the best carbon on the planet or the cheapest aluminum they could recycle out of beer cans) are made in the USA. Period.

Enjoy the new ride!
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had my 07 EX8 for almost 5 months and have nothing but praise for the bike. It's been very solid especially for my weight at 280+lbs... The items I've changed are the grips, stem, seatpost, saddle, pedals and a new wheelset (CK's with EX5.1ds). I got the new wheelset because I put the Bontrager wheels on my girlfriend's bike.

And to answer your question about any problems, I've had none. My size alone should be a good stress test to the durability of the bike. And like I've said, no problems whatsoever.

I think you've made a good decision... Let us know how your first ride goes and make sure to get some pics...

EDIT: Correction! I did have a problem with the rear shock... The seal had gone bad and was causing it to bottom out even when LOCKED OUT. So instead of sending the shock to Fox, I had sent it to PUSH. To make a long story short, they fixed the shock using their seals and a volume reducer and the bottoming out problem was fixed. I will say the Fox Float RPL is just a re-badged Triad, which they no longer custom tune...
    Last edited by kuyawil; 05-17-2007 at 02:12 PM.

mtbr member
    thanks for the replys. ive read some post in other forums that say only the high end FS bikes are made in usa and others that say only the carbon fiber bikes are. i figured i would just ask in the trek forum.

mtbr member
    Great choice man.

I as well, also have an EX8.. The bike rides like a dream.. No problems with the bike, nor riding it around my normal XC trail. This bike has it all. Ability to terrorize XC terrain, as well as whatever else you may want to throw at it. I couldnt be happier with my new Fuel.. Zero complaints here!
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've also got a Trek Fuel EX8, but only for a week. Absolutely love it, looks nice and is fantastic to ride. It's only my first MTB so I can not really compare, but I feel addicted already. Suddenly, road riding is not anymore what it once was.

So far I liked all the components although I must say my butt has to get used to the Bontrager saddle which is pretty hard. Tires wheels, all seem OK for me.

mtbr member
    ive put a few hundred miles on my ex8 already and its a blast. unfortunately the fork came with a blown seal and my front juicy five master cylinder was toast. fortunately, my LBS is amazing and gave me loaners through the problems.

anyways, the bike is amazing. take time to dial in your pressures. i found that the reccomended pressures and rebound settings were way off. i ride agressively and i needed less pressure and less rebound. 2 clicks of rebound and 150psi in the shock are perfect for me. riding hard and hopping up and off things weighing 170lbs and it soaks it up with room to spare.

i put on a thompson post, beater SLs, and kenda tubeless tires, and im ordering a monkeylite XC from the LBS too.

tubeless made it even more of a dreamy ride.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrokid73
    i put on a thompson post, beater SLs, and kenda tubeless tires, and im ordering a monkeylite XC from the LBS too.
    Hey man
    Question about your upgrading path.. The Thompson post... Much lighter than the Bonty post that comes stock? If so, I may consider a similar upgrade too. i am going to lighten this thing up piece by piece over time, and hope to do it rather economically too.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Congrats. I've owned my 07 EX8 for about 4 months and I love it. I ride mostly technical trails with rock gardens, tight switchbacks, small ledges, some fairly steep climbs and rocky descents. The bike handles GREAT. No complaints. I made a few upgrades to lighten up the bike, including Race X Lite tubeless wheels, XXX Race Lite carbon bar, Race X Lite seat post, LX trigger shifters and RP23 shock. The bike shifts solid and really hooks up. I can't say enough great things about this bike. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    the thompson post is considerably lighter than the stock one. i got mine mint condition for $30 on ebay. what a steal! i wont be able to do that with the CF bars though, because you never trust used carbon. it's really not a heavy bike.

im at ~28.4 lbs with:

07 medium ex8
    e13 bashy instead of 44t
    kenda nevegal/bluegroove 2.1 dtc with stans
    thompson post
    eggbeater sl's

im about to put on a monkeylite xc with esi silicone grips, which should put it at 28, which is perfect. i really need to clean and lube my damn chain.....
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuyawil
    I've had my 07 EX8 for almost 5 months and have nothing but praise for the bike. It's been very solid especially for my weight at 280+lbs... The items I've changed are the grips, stem, seatpost, saddle, pedals and a new wheelset (CK's with EX5.1ds). I got the new wheelset because I put the Bontrager wheels on my girlfriend's bike.

And to answer your question about any problems, I've had none. My size alone should be a good stress test to the durability of the bike. And like I've said, no problems whatsoever.

kuyawil
    How tall are you and what size did you buy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamer19
    kuyawil
    What you should have said was, I am X height, what size should I buy?

FWIW, I am 6'1" and I bought a Large. It fits me awesome.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Funny! That sounds like something I'd say if I was on the other end...

Anyway, I'm 6'3", relatively longer legs, shorter torso. Been struggling between L and XL. If it was for commuting, XL would be fine but I'm leaning to L for better handling during cross country riding. Curious about other bigger guys and what decision they've made for sizing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am 6 foot 4, and like you have long legs, I ride an 06 Ex7 and am upgrading to the 07 EX7 due to frame replacement warranty issue. I riode an XL and will never choose to ride a Large at my size. I would rather ride a bigger bike with the seatpost at a reasonable height, then a smaller bike with the seatpost jacked up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was stuck between a medium and a large, I'm just under 5' 11''. Went for the medium in the end, and really happy with it. HTH

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamer19
    kuyawil

Steamer19, I'm 5'9" and weigh in at a very stout 280+. The size frame is 17.5...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FisherCraig
    What you should have said was, I am X height, what size should I buy?

FWIW, I am 6'1" and I bought a Large. It fits me awesome.
    Same for me. Also 6'1", large feels perfect, the XL was too big.

Filthyrob
    good comments. I'm thinking of buying a EX8 tomorrow. It seems like a very good deal with the level of components that come with it. XTR on the rear and $2350 (cdn).

I don't see any negative comments here so that looks good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by filthyrob
    good comments. I'm thinking of buying a EX8 tomorrow. It seems like a very good deal with the level of components that come with it. XTR on the rear and $2350 (cdn).

I don't see any negative comments here so that looks good.
    I just had the Deore shifters upgraded, and I also had a carbon bar thrown in. I ended up paying MSRP tax in basically (a few bucks more only) I think its a dynamite deal.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4