mtbr member

gary fisher tassajara

is this bike made in the usa?

mtbr member
    i never got a response by gary fisher. important in my decision making process.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yup, it is... go to the fisherbikes.com, find the tass, there's a little american flag in the bottom right corner right under the photo. click it. it says that the Gold Frames are made in the USA. if you read thru it.

GL,
    -don

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    well sort of
    the frames are welded overseas and then shipped over here. once here the bottombracket is taped and faced. the headtube is faced. the frame is painted and all the parts are put on. so legaly it is made in the states. but certin parts of it are from overseas. the marlin and tassajara are the only bikes that are half and half. the hookooekoo and above are 100% made in the states. anything below the marlin are made overseas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    just curious, but how do you know that the gold frames are welded overseas? i don't doubt you, just interested in where you got that information from...

-don

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blehargh
    just curious, but how do you know that the gold frames are welded overseas? i don't doubt you, just interested in where you got that information from...

-don
    i read a article about overseas production and it takled about trek/fisher and other bike companies and how some bikes were welded overseas and the rest was done over here. it also talked about price and how shipping costs are more then the actul production of most of the bikes, so overseas production does only saves money until a certin point (i am guessing about the $400 price range) so i emailed trek/fisher and that is what they told me. i cant remember the name of the article it has been about a year, i think.

this company does the same thing but with all there bikes. if you buy a complete bike from them it says it is made in the usa if you buy the frame from then it says made in china.

http://www.airborne.net/eready/janet...nchor-designed

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Last I heard all Trek made bikes (Trek, Fisher, Klein, LeMond), were made in the US if they were over $500, including the frames being welded here. Bikes below that price are made in China to meet price points.

Not that is makes a difference. I just bought a Supergo Scattante frame from my wife, made in Taiwan, and the weld quality looks every bit as good as my Klein, Fisher and Turner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the frame you have is al with carbon stays. the bike was most likly made by giant from a design that giant all ready has as supergo is not a design company. the compariable trek 2100, 2200, 2300 (they all use the same frame) the 2300 is the only one offered as a frame i dont know the price. i do know to get the 2100 complete bike which would retail for $1350. so from $350 more you could get complet bike handmade in the states with carbon rear stays, carbon fork, double butted frame.

My view on overseas production is that it is not bad to produce the cheapest bike because not everyone can or wants to spend a lot of money. but when the frame materials cost the same, but the production costs are different, and when shipping cost are different. the price of the bikes equal out. but by producing bikes in the states and purching bike made in the states we help people keep their job not just the ceo, reps and designers but the hard working americans who put their sweet into your bike because they want to not because they are forced to. and the trend is manufacturing went overseas(asia) first and now customer service is moving overseas, so it is not just the people who some would call the "uneducated" but the "educated" are also losing there job. dell computers now has some of there customer service located in new dehli india, who knew or could tell they speak english well. i am not saying that i buy everything american because it is not possible but when possible i do. it seems that everyone wants the cheapest product but if no one has a job then how is anyone going to buy that cheap product.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the 2004 trek 2300 sells for $999.99 the same price as the supergo frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by frknlitebike
    My view on overseas production is that it is not bad to produce the cheapest bike because not everyone can or wants to spend a lot of money. but when the frame materials cost the same, but the production costs are different, and when shipping cost are different. the price of the bikes equal out. but by producing bikes in the states and purching bike made in the states we help people keep their job not just the ceo, reps and designers but the hard working americans who put their sweet into your bike because they want to not because they are forced to. and the trend is manufacturing went overseas(asia) first and now customer service is moving overseas, so it is not just the people who some would call the "uneducated" but the "educated" are also losing there job. dell computers now has some of there customer service located in new dehli india, who knew or could tell they speak english well. i am not saying that i buy everything american because it is not possible but when possible i do. it seems that everyone wants the cheapest product but if no one has a job then how is anyone going to buy that cheap product.
    Umm, you really need to go take both a basic economics and a world history class. The first would teach you that jobs don't magically "dissapear" overseas but instead they shift around. The second would teach you that India was a Colony of England for over 200 years, large english speaking population. You would also learn that India has a very large, college educated workforce, the reason that so many customer service jobs are going there.