mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Gary Fisher Demo days

Looking at the GF website it shows that they are having demo days at places around the Northeast. I stopped into the local Fisher/Trek dealer to ask about the location of the April 28th day in Buffalo, NY and was told that it was not open to the public. Meaning you have to be a dealer/shop employee to go.

Has anyone else been to one of these? GF's website lead me to beleive they are meant for potential customers. It even says "come out with the crew from Bert's..." and it says on the main demo page "show up with ID and your riding gear".

Any insite would be helpful before i try to contact fisher.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've been to one in Rochester that was open to the public, but I know there are sometimes one's that are meant for shop employees only. I think the ones that are posted on the GF site are open to the public. If they aren't then why would they publicize them?!?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The 28th says it is a casual day. They are doing Trek Lime/FX model demos somewhere in the city. Click on the "contact us" and find out what they are bringing and if you can try out a mtn bike.
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Trek/GF let me take a HiFi Pro for a day!

I contacted Trek through Fisher's web site and received a reply within 15 minutes. It turns out the Trek/Fisher van (which is actually a VW Taureg with a trailer) would be in town showing off the new Limes. Since they would be in the Buffalo, he offered to let me take the bike to a local trail and bring it back at the end of the day. Which by the way was freakin awesome, i got more than a demo, i got to ride one of my local loops!

The Demo Guys are great, they dialed the bike in for my weight and even let me borrow a pair of pliers and some grease to unstick the skewer nut on my Yak rack.

As far as the bike goes:

Th HiFi pro is great, relatively light, I think MBA mag puts it at 27 Lbs. The stability that GF claims is for real. Taking it across technical singletrack you can really just roll over roots and rocks at slow speeds and relax. The bike steers istself to a point. I think with sharper turns like hairpin or switch backs it takes a little more effort to steer around them. That would be my only quam.

I ride a hard tail and have limited experience on F/S bikes so i can't really compare it to any other F/S bike. I found i liked the RP23 rear shock on the level 2 pedal platform best. pedal bob wasn't signifigant enough for me to wish i had my hardtail. The fork was great Highly adjustable! Also props to the mechanic if he reads this. The bike's drive train performed great. Once the brakes (Avid Juicy 7s) got wet the began to squeek, and did not stop the whole ride. not sure how to stop a squeel on dis brakes let alone Hydros.

Overall though i was so impressed that these guys let me take the bike for a whole day, helped me fix my rack, and also gave me a shirt and a waterbottle. They gave my roommate/riding buddy a bottle too. I'm very glad that Trek/Fisher would take the time and consideration to help win over a customer. Great guys, Great company, Great day

Bob, i know you'll prolly read this. Special thanks to you and your team.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Awesome! Glad you had a good time, Matt. Thanks for directions on Sunday. Check out for the dealers surrounding Buffalo. Or trot over to Rochester for other choices of shops. If you are back in the Albany area, try The Down Tube.

Glad you had a good time.
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.