Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Fuel moving to a 29in wheel

Heard a rumor so I put no faith in it but I wanted to hear what everyone else thought. I was at a trail riding my non-Trek bike when a guy asked me what I thought about the 29er with full suspension. He was looking for a trail bike and was used to 26in wheels. We talked and I had mentioned that I looked at a Rumblefish but decided on a longer travel bike. He casually mentioned that he heard the Fuel was going to 29er. Anybody else hear this or have thoughts?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    May 2008

Fuel moving to a 29in wheel

I don't know about that rumor but I think a 27.5" Fuel would rock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    have also heard that the EX will be getting a 29 version with full floater, and would be shocked if it did not since the women's Lush 29er for 2013 sports the full floater design. heard all this from someone who would seemingly know.
    Heard actually that Trek plans to introduce several new frame platforms in the MTB realm, two of which I'd imagine will be the Superfly SL frames, since those haven't really had a big press push until recently...so a couple new bikes coming down the pike I'd think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have a 9.9SSL Top Fuel, and while I am riding a 29er hardtail currrently, I have to say that I think that bike worked pretty good. The rear wheel stayed stuck to the ground. It took some getting used to, coming off a 26"HT, but it was, and is a pretty damned good bike. The only gripes I had about it was the wheelbase and the head angle. I think it could have been a touch shorter in the wheelbase and the headtube was a half degree to a degree too slack. I think speeding up the headangle would have helped shorten the wheelbase a little. To each their own though.

If they do a 29er of that bike, I think it should be pretty good.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Isn't the superfly 100 the 29 version of the Fuel?
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    Isn't the superfly 100 the 29 version of the Fuel?
    No.
    The SF and the Rumblefish are built on the same suspension platform.
    The SF has a horizontal shock whereas the Fuel is a vertical full floater style.
    New bike that's rumored and talked about in this thread is a 29er with vertical, full floater style suspension.

What I love about Trek is how close they keep their dealers. My LBS said the rep. confirmed that the new "rumor" bike is basically a Lush for men. Apparently Trek wanted to test the platform first with a women's model. He wasn't sure if the RF was going away or if they would keep it as a middle-of-the-road trail bike and maybe drop some of the AL SF models (but keep the carbon around).

I'm waiting to see what they come out with. I've got a 2013 Superfly Al. Pro that I love but I want something beefier for epics and enduros. Waiting to see if this new bike is worth full retail or if I'm better off snagging a RF once if/when it's been displaced.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Funny this is mentioned. I was looking at stump jumpers just a few minutes ago. Specialized offers the stumpy in 26 and 29. Maybe trek will follow suit? Maybe it will be a 27.5" instead. Notice how the bottom tube on the 2013 Fuel has a slight bend to it. Maybe to accomidate a larger wheel? I could see the rumblefish going away and offering the Fuel in 2 wheel sizes. I am really concidering a 29er not sure if it will be a HT or FS. I will probably wait until the 2014's are released.
    2014 Niner RIP 9 (Roval Carbon wheels, Pike)

Sold:
    Trek Fuel EX8 29er (Rhythm Pro wheels, 2x conversion)

High Gravity Haze
    Owning a RF currently along with 2 FuelEX 8's and 2 Fuel 90's previously, if Trek were to create a new Fuel 29'r or 650b I'd drop the RF like a bad habit. If they made a FuelEX 29'r I'd be less inclined to swap, but still tempted if it rode more similarly to the original Fuel. The longer I own the Rumblefish, the less I enjoy it. I have the option of the Rumblefish or my Salsa El Mariachi SS and the Salsa gets more ride time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So you would want a complete new 29er trail bike called a fuel but not a Fuel EX with 29 wheels? What do you concider the original Fuel?

I would be a buyer if they did a 29er Fuel. Have it a 130mm Travel front and rear. Oh and offer it in trek green color.

Sold:

High Gravity Haze
    The original Fuel (2001) was an 80mm travel suspension design, not the 100mm it morphed into. If I remember correctly, the 1st gen (2005?) FuelEX was a 100mm design that turned into 120mm when the standard Fuel turned into 100mm. I was quite happy with the 80mm original fuel and when the travel increased to 100mm it was still good, but once the travel moved on up to 120mm it just felt sloppy to me.

Where I ride, I don't feel the need for more than 100mm and never bottom forks or shocks out unless they are short a few PSI.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sounds like you want a XC bike and not a "trail" bike.

Sold:

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    god I hope not 26er forever! I have been riding fuel bikes since 2001. I hope never have to buy a 29er!

High Gravity Haze
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Sounds like you want a XC bike and not a "trail" bike.
    Yup, you hit the nail on the head. Then again though, that is what the Fuel is intended for. The EX version is more inline with being a "trail-bike"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I will not be disappointed if the "seat mast" design of former top fuels stays buried. I appreciate the ability to use aftermarket seatposts, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The only fucntional difference between "full floater" (top fuel, EX) vs a fixed shock mounting (rumbelfish, sf100)... is the engineer's/designer's ability to more finely tune the shock rate. the need to quickly release a 100mm 29er race bike with full floater would imply that the shock rate of the SF100 and SF100 SL is inadequate... considering their newly released SF100SL has hardly hit shop floors, I doubt another 100mm 29er race bike redesign is coming anytime soon.

Now, a 120-140mm travel 29er "trail" bike (carbon)... that might be nice, and may very well use full floater.

IMHO, DRCV shocks and the ABP rear end are much more significant factors in ride quality than whether a shock mount is "full floater".

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I could see trek offering a light use trail bike like the Specialized camber. I would deffinatly be interested.

When does trek release the 2014 bikes anyway? I may have to wait to see what is around the corner as my EX8 is still a good ride but I am waiting for a 29er

Sold:

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Currently riding 29er HT and seriously looking to buy Trek fuel bike now....so many great reviews and happy riders out there. Would be my first FS bike if I pull the trigger

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I talked to my LBS a few weeks ago. They were saying 650B for the 2014 Fuel. Not sure if the 26er will be completely out of the picture.

Sold:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I talked to my LBS a few weeks ago. They were saying 650B for the 2014 Fuel. Not sure if the 26er will be completely out of the picture.
    My LBS is blowing out a Top Fuel 9.9 and I told them to squeeze in 650b's and double the price...I must be a pyskick !!

mtbr member
    From what I have heard the Rumblefish is going to have the same full floater design as the Fuel. Which would be the 29er Fuel. I am not sure if the 26 will be replaced with a 27.5 but to me that kind of makes sense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    TREK might release a 29er Remedy. Here's a photo of a possible prototype:

Rock Shox DLC(?) Forks Spotted on Possible Trek Long Travel 29er Prototype, more - Bike Rumor

Lets see what TREK is gonna show us on Sea Otter this weekend...

Mo.

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't expect Trek will put another XC 29er Full Suspension in the market. Their 29er XC bikes have just been revised in 2013.

But for the AM market, and especially the increasingly popular long travel range, they donīt have anything to show for. The Rumblefish is still a great bike, but has been around since 2010, still a real "Fish" back then. And with more competition moving in to the LT-AM market as well. Trek can not afford not to offer a 29er in that range.

If Iīm correct the Fuel EX is still one of their best selling bikes. So it should not be a surprise if they use that platform and create a 29er version of that bike to update their AM line-up.

mtbr member
    prepare to be surprised

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Diggity Dog
    Both a Remedy and Fuel EX 29. Some stock is immediately available. More will hit in July.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast