Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 50 of 50
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,401
    Link to view models?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

  2. #27
    Trek EX8 Upgrader
    Reputation: Milkman311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Link to view models?


    I can't wait for the 9.8!!
    Mellow Johnny's » All-New Trek Fuel EX 29 and Remedy 29

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    37
    I will not be buying one!

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    539
    Went to my LBS they were building up an Fuel EX8 29er for me to look at and judge the geometry if its right for me or not. Its an 18.5. Was really interested in the EX9 but they didnt get any in my size range.

    Pretty significant jump in price from the EX8 to the EX9. But computer checked that Trek wont have any till mid to late July. I can suffice with SLX on the EX8 although Id like to swap out the triple with an SLX double and Ive got a set of Stans Flows/American Classic wheels from my current bike that Id swap over.

    Guess what Im really thinking out loud is should I wait for the EX9 to become available or go EX8? Would I be missing the Kashima coating (is it worth it?) on the fork and shock and dropper seatpost? Never used one before.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CaRaBeeN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    176
    Dropper seatpost is the biggest-greatest invent for mtb! Especially, for full suspension bikes..
    2012 Trek Slash 9

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
    Went to my LBS they were building up an Fuel EX8 29er for me to look at and judge the geometry if its right for me or not. Its an 18.5. Was really interested in the EX9 but they didnt get any in my size range.

    Pretty significant jump in price from the EX8 to the EX9. But computer checked that Trek wont have any till mid to late July. I can suffice with SLX on the EX8 although Id like to swap out the triple with an SLX double and Ive got a set of Stans Flows/American Classic wheels from my current bike that Id swap over.

    Guess what Im really thinking out loud is should I wait for the EX9 to become available or go EX8? Would I be missing the Kashima coating (is it worth it?) on the fork and shock and dropper seatpost? Never used one before.
    Dropper post is relitive to what kind of terrain you ride. I have used one but dont have a need or want for one.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    57
    Happened to see an EX8 at a demo this weekend. Of course, it wasn't available for a test ride, but wow, what a bike! Love the 26" fuel, so this bigger one should be a blast!

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,401
    Anyone have any pics they can post? Maybe a pic from a bike shop
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    539
    when I go back to my LBS tomorrow Ill try and remember to take a pic of the EX8.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    539
    If I was to go with the EX8 since it comes with a triple and wanted to replace it with an SLX or XT double specific would I be able to just buy a double crankset and reuse the existing BB? I would prob think that spacers would be needed to get the chainline straight, no?

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
    Went to my LBS they were building up an Fuel EX8 29er for me to look at and judge the geometry if its right for me or not. Its an 18.5. Was really interested in the EX9 but they didnt get any in my size range.

    Pretty significant jump in price from the EX8 to the EX9. But computer checked that Trek wont have any till mid to late July. I can suffice with SLX on the EX8 although Id like to swap out the triple with an SLX double and Ive got a set of Stans Flows/American Classic wheels from my current bike that Id swap over.

    Guess what Im really thinking out loud is should I wait for the EX9 to become available or go EX8? Would I be missing the Kashima coating (is it worth it?) on the fork and shock and dropper seatpost? Never used one before.
    Kashima is nice, but the ones without it work fine, so I don't think that is a dealbreaker. IMO, you have to have a dropper on a bike like that, but the 8 not coming with one gives you the option to pick your own, so probably better anyway.

  12. #37
    Illuminati
    Reputation: scant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,593
    lots of pics of the remedy 29er & fuel 29er here: Mellow Johnny's All-New Trek Fuel EX 29 and Remedy 29

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
    If I was to go with the EX8 since it comes with a triple and wanted to replace it with an SLX or XT double specific would I be able to just buy a double crankset and reuse the existing BB? I would prob think that spacers would be needed to get the chainline straight, no?
    You should just be able to slap it on, no spacers or etc. needed. If you wanted to run a SRAM crank it might require a different press-fit BB? but the Shimano should slap right on. The rings of a 2x and a 3x are offset differently -- the chainline differences you reference are handled by the spider/drive side arm. The front shifter and derailleur are 2 or 3-speed specific, but you can limit a 3x front setup and it works fine.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    539
    went back to my shop. was able to test ride the EX8 18.5 and it felt just a little too short in the TT. I realize its got an 80mm stem, Ive got a 100mm Thomson on my Niner that I could swap out. They were kind enough to order one of the last 19.5 for me. Should be here this weekend so I could do a side by side comparison.

    Other than that it a pretty nice riding bike. Suspension soaked up the small stairs to off the curb. And peddles quite well up hill in the middle ring.

    I was able to take some iphone pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuel moving to a 29in wheel-img_1667.jpg  

    Fuel moving to a 29in wheel-img_1668.jpg  


  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,401
    I just picked mine up from the LBS. I wonder if I am the first to get theirs?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cutbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    328
    What a goofy ass looking contraption. See ya Trek, I'm moving to a 650b bike. Gary Fisher has sucked you into a hole.
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    46
    Geesh a remedy and fuel 29er what's the point of having the rumblefish?? I wish Trek would've gone with a 650b version.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    22
    Hi all - pics and actual weights of several new EX 29 models here: Trek Fuel EX 29 Photos & Actual Weights - EX 9.7, EX 9, EX 8, EX 7 | Pro Bike Swap

  19. #44
    Diggity Dog
    Reputation: ShinDiggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by chris11557 View Post
    Geesh a remedy and fuel 29er what's the point of having the rumblefish?? I wish Trek would've gone with a 650b version.
    Stay tuned.

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    723
    How long do we have to stay tuned for? Is today the day? Press release time?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhGee View Post
    Stay tuned.

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    How long do we have to stay tuned for? Is today the day? Press release time?
    2014 Trek Fuel EX 29 - YouTube

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    723

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunderland View Post
    Anyone else no sound?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Anyone else no sound?
    I have sound.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    723

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •