mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Fuel ex9, ex9.7 or remedy 8?

Started to get into mountain biking in my late 20's and was riding a Giant hard tail - nothing special. Three kids later and I am looking to get back into it with a couple of mates. A few months in and some of them have started to turn up with shiny new full suspension bikes, and my ride is looking like something from a black and white movie.

so aside of shiny bike envy, their new rides really are helping them not only with confidence but making life easier and generally more comfortable.

They have all plumbed for kit from the Scott genius range, but I have been looking at Trek, lapierre and whyte.

from the trek range I really like the fuel ex9 as it comes with a really good quality spec, confusion is whether for the same price I should go for the 9.7 with a carbon frame, at the expense of a dropper post and some of the components?

For the type of riding I do right now I am not sure I will notice any difference, but looking to get into this and want to make sure I have a good spec.

Weight isn't an issue, in all honesty, the organic matter sat on the bike could easily shed the equivalent weight with some more exercise :-)

thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've rode bikes with great frames and low end parts. But I own the lower priced frames with great parts. I would rather have a bike like the EX9 with XT parts. You'll appreciate those better parts over time and the better performance in adverse conditions. Bought an EX 8 29er. Swapped half the components with some XT stuff including a better wheel set I had.....boom!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    "Weight isn't an issue", than there is no question going with the Fuel EX 9. 9.7 if you wanted the lighter frame and wanted to upgrade parts down the line. Would only consider a Remedy if you thought you would really be riding more aggressive on the downhill. Not that you cant on a fuel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I took out a superfly 29er (no fuel demo available) and a remedy 9 with 650b's... Have to say on the tight technical trial I tested them on the smaller wheels and bigger travel of the remedy really stacked up...

i know now the superfly is different to the fuel but I don't think the 29er is for me so remedy looks the best bet...

anyone gone through the deliberation of remedy 8 and 9 and the huge price difference? The xt equipment was fantastic as was the 2*10 and dropper post... But the kit on the 8 looks fairly awesome as we'll...