mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Fuel EX8 wheel questions

questions:

1. Has anyone done 27.5 wheels on a Fuel EX8. I have a 2011 model

2. Would stans wheels be much of an upgrade to my bontrager dusters? And how about hubs? My bike now has Shimano 525's. I have yet to damage my dusters and I am running them tubless. I run 9mm front and I think I can do 142mm in the rear? Not sure about that. I was looking at the arch wheels. I weigh less than 170 with gear.

3. WHat is all involved with 142mm convert? What do I all have to buy?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have also concidered the new Bontrager race lite or rhythem elite wheel.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    questions:
    2. Would stans wheels be much of an upgrade to my bontrager dusters? And how about hubs? My bike now has Shimano 525's. I have yet to damage my dusters and I am running them tubless. I run 9mm front and I think I can do 142mm in the rear? Not sure about that. I was looking at the arch wheels. I weigh less than 170 with gear.
    The Duster has an excellent extrusion and the Bontrager rim strip tubeless system is easily as good as the tape system used by others. Find a good deal on a nice set of hubs and lace them to your rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So the Duster is a good rim and would not see much of a difference to a stans wheel. Good to know. I can tell the hubs dont roll as good as they could. Maybe look for some XT hubs and use what I got.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Trek EX8 Upgrader
    I too have a 2011 EX8. I kept junking front hub cones etc. LBS replaced 525 under warranty with a DT Swiss 350 laced to my Dusters. I liked this hub so, I bought a rear DT 350 for rear laced to Dusters. I LOVE the DT, especially after 36 tooth star ratchet upgrade. The Dusters are plenty strong, and light enough. The tubless system is also beyond simple. My weight is considerably more than yours OP. if you are looking to really cut weight, look at the Stan's Crest. Also check out Bicycle Wheel Warehouse.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have no failures with the 525 hubs they just dont seem to roll freely. It almost seems like the brakes are rubbing but that does not seem to be the case. How much are DT swiss hubs?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Trek EX8 Upgrader
    I have no failures with the 525 hubs they just dont seem to roll freely. It almost seems like the brakes are rubbing but that does not seem to be the case. How much are DT swiss hubs?

DT-Swiss 350 Road Hubs - Outside Outfitters

Front-$50 32 hole
    Rear-$165 32 hole Shimano

First link is for road hub. Disregard.

DT Swiss 350
    Rear

DT Swiss 350 Mountain Front Hub > Components > Wheel Goods > Hubs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Front

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i dented the **** out of my rear duster in several places. got a good deal on a DT Swiss M1800 wheelset
    with the dt swiss tubeless kit and nearly brand new tires on ebay. upgraded to 142x12 and that made a huge difference.
    this is all on a '12 ex 8
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Antikid View Post
    i dented the **** out of my rear duster in several places. got a good deal on a DT Swiss M1800 wheelset
    with the dt swiss tubeless kit and nearly brand new tires on ebay. upgraded to 142x12 and that made a huge difference.
    this is all on a '12 ex 8
    What is all needed for the 142x12 upgrade? I know you need the hub. But what hardware is needed for the bike? Is it just a different skewer and adp nut? Maybe I will ask a few questions at the LBS on my way to the trails today.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    I had good luck with the dusters. I got a good deal on the crosstrails and they look cool so thats what I'm running now. THe dusters are pretty strong and irc they only weigh about 1900 g.
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What is all needed for the 142x12 upgrade? I know you need the hub. But what hardware is needed for the bike? Is it just a different skewer and adp nut? Maybe I will ask a few questions at the LBS on my way to the trails today.
    trek sells a kit. i can get the part # when i get home. you get droupouts, bearings and endcaps (nuts) the maxle is separate. the kit was 40$
    Got my maxle on ebay for 57$ or so and trek asks around $80 i think.
    the kit also came with 2 washers that i couldnt find a use for
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha