mtbr member

Fuel: EX5 or EX6? or 2011 Top Fuel 8

Trying to decide between these two models, is it worth the extra couple of hundred dollars for the EX6, looks like their shocks are upgraded along with the brakes.

ETA: added a new one - 2011 Top Fuel 8 on close out for $2,300 from my LBS
    Last edited by armoredsaint; 08-10-2012 at 12:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Yes is the answer!

Having the air fork alone is most definitely worth it.

mtbr member
    i would say yes. better fork with air spring and 15QR. also the rear shock is better in my books. Also the brakes are an upgrade as well, go with the 6 or now is a good time to look at older models left over at the stores so keep that in mind
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    thanks for the replies, now my decision is even harder - my LBS has an 2011 Top Fuel 8 on close-out for $2,300. Thoughts?

Top Fuel 8
    Frame Alpha Red Aluminum w/ABP Race, Full Floater, magnesium EVO Link, oversized pivot bearings, replaceable derailleur hanger, 100mm travel
    Front Suspension RockShox Reba RL w/air spring, rebound, remote lockout, alloy steerer, 100mm travel
    Rear Shock Fox Float RP-2, "race tuned" w/ProPedal, rebound; 6.5x1.5"
    Wheels Bontrager Race Lite Disc wheel system, 28 hole, center lock, tubeless ready
    Tires Bontrager XR3 Expert, 26x2.2"
    Shifters Shimano SLX, 10 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano SLX
    Rear Derailleur Shimano SLX
    Crank Shimano SLX, 42/32/24
    Cassette Shimano HG8110 11-36, 10 speed
    Pedals n/a
    Saddle Bontrager Evoke 2, chromoly rails
    Seat Post Bontrager Rhythm Elite, 31.6mm, zero offset
    Handlebars Bontrager Low Riser, 31.8mm, 25mm rise, 9 degree sweep
    Stem Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm
    Headset FSA Orbit Z, 1-1/8" semi-integrated, sealed
    Brakeset Avid Elixir R hydraulic disc brakes
    Extras Trek fork and shock sag meter, Bontrager shock pump

mtbr member
    so silly i can't post a picture until i hit 10 replies...

mtbr member
    the top fuel is a race orientated XC bike and in my opinion is very limited in use. While it is a better bike spec wise then the EX6 i think the 6 is much more versatile.

What kind of riding do you do or want to do? the Top may be great if it suits your riding.
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwaystreets View Post
    the top fuel is a race orientated XC bike and in my opinion is very limited in use. While it is a better bike spec wise then the EX6 i think the 6 is much more versatile.

What kind of riding do you do or want to do? the Top may be great if it suits your riding.
    I'm actually getting back into trail riding and so-forth, nothing extreme at all. Is a race bike not good, if so how does it make it different? Still learning on all the next tech out there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
    I'm actually getting back into trail riding and so-forth, nothing extreme at all. Is a race bike not good, if so how does it make it different? Still learning on all the next tech out there
    just a smaller amount of suspension travel and more emphasis on XC then say trail or all mountain biking.

The fuel EX is in between the Top Fuel and the Remedy. Can do everything.If you plan on doing any downhill or drops i'd stay away from the Top Fuel
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    If they have that for $2,300 can't you get the Fuel ex7 for that price?

The Fuel ex7 has fox shocks front and back and an upgraded component group. I believe you get the E2 tapered steer tube on the fork as well as the DRCV rear shock. Definitely worth the money!

mtbr member
    yah if i was going to spend $2,300 i would want the Fuel. i paid less then that for my new Remedy 8 so just something to think about.
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Serenity now!
    How does a Giant Trance x1 compare to a Fuel8?

mtbr member
    I didn't know this until yesterday, but Giant makes the most of the Trek frames.

mtbr member
    I didn't know this until yesterday, but Giant makes the most of the Trek frames.
    Most MTB frames are made in Taiwan from the same spot so yah technically Giant does make some Trek frames that can be said about a lot of companies. Its still not a Giant product as they have their own specs and dimensions
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    You are joking right!!!!

This is a big misconception. Giant doesn't make Trek frames. They may have frames made in the same factories overseas but they are not made by Giant. I do know that a couple of the cruiser/comfort style frames have been made by giant in the past but I can't speak for now. None of the Mountain bikes are made by them as far as I know.

I think you would see a lot more similarities in their frames if they were made by Giant but there aren't any.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My 2012 EX7 was $2100 soon after release, I'd imagine you could get it cheaper now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eschmunk View Post
    My 2012 EX7 was $2100 soon after release, I'd imagine you could get it cheaper now.
    i checked the LBS (Trek Factory Store) and no EX7 in stock, they said it's because the new 2013 EX7 is being released

too bad there's no 2012 left over, he said difference is increased in front travel to 130mm vs 120.

mtbr member
    i checked the LBS (Trek Factory Store) and no EX7 in stock, they said it's because the new 2013 EX7 is being released

too bad there's no 2012 left over, he said difference is increased in front travel to 130mm vs 120.
    Yeah they have made some changes to the travel and geometry. What size frame do you need?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    it's really bad. I saw 2011 EX7 was sold at around $1400 in May. So I thought if I wait til Aug, I would be able to get it for cheap. Somehow EX7 is already sold out and not much discount for other EX models.

Does anyone know how much 2011 EX7 after 2012 EX7 release ,like in last Aug or Sept?

mtbr member
    Not to side track the op's post, but I would have to agree that Giant does not make Trek frames. It would be more accurate to state that there are a company of professional welders in Tiawan in one building that assemble frame designs from multiple companies. IMHO
    Mongoose Summit Pro
    Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Motobecane Fantom Trail DS
    Trek 2011 X-Caliber

I'd rather be riding
    My 2cents. I have a top fuel 8 and love it, it's been a great ride and keeps up fine on "all mountain" trails as long as your not trying to do big drops or crazy things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    My 2cents. I have a top fuel 8 and love it, it's been a great ride and keeps up fine on "all mountain" trails as long as your not trying to do big drops or crazy things.
    total thread revive here haha but what does your top fuel 8 weigh?? im building one up and trying to figure out ballpark numbers

mtbr member
    I just bought an EX 5, went from shredding on a Scott Octane with big suspension to practically no suspension on this bike. This bike is my instrument of mountainbiking resurrection, after recovering from my broken leg. I like the price, weight and frame but the fork and brakes suck.