mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Fuel EX vs. Rumblefish

Can someone explain some differences between the two? I'm going to demo them in a couple weeks and want to know what I should look out for.

Here are things I am aware of, please correct me if I'm wrong:

29 vs. 26 - I'd like to stay away from this discussion, if at all possible.
    Headtube angle - Fuel is slacker, so it will have a little less responsive steering, but hold lines better?
    G2 Geometry - I'm not sure how this exactly works, but trail is reduced, thereby making high and low speed steering better?
    140mm vs 130mm front fork travel
    Chainstay - Fuel is shorter, so similar handling that the headtube angle provides, but a little more agile/controllable?

Does anyone have any opinions comparing the 2 bikes? Can they be compared at all?

I've got a thread here, so you can get an idea of what I'm about:
    How to pick my next bike?

Thanks

I hate that name.
    Both bikes are excellent choices for general trail riding, and can definitely be compared to each other since they are designed for the same type of riding. However, 29 vs 26 really is the only relevant comparison. Everything else is relative to the wheel size. The RF ha needs to be a bit steeper than the EX to have a somewhat similar feel, because of the difference in wheel sizes. G2 geometry is what (imo) makes a 29 more nimble, more like a 26. The 10mm difference in travel is (again, imo) not enough to split hairs over. BTW, the EX is 130 and the RF is 120, not sure where the 140 came from. The RF chainstays are longer to accomodate a larger wheel. Basically, both platforms are excellent. The hard decision is which is wheel size do you prefer?
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    I'd go Rumblefish in the next few years 650b will take over the 26er market and im sure the fuel will become that wheel size. Dont get me wrong 26inch wheels are great and I owned a fuel ex 8 2012 model and its been my favorite bike to date but the advantage of having big wheels to me out weighs there short comings. Unless you like hitting the odd jump then go fuel. Also, if you plan on selling your bike in the next few years there will be a better market and return for your money on the rumbliefish.One thing I do like better about the fuel is the full floater suspension desgin. As of lately Ive been riding a 29er hardtail and at first theres a small break in period but after that your acustom to the bigger wheels the one thing about the fuel is it instanley feels good. Watch out for those shimano brakes there powerful if you havent used there new ones yet. Another thing to consider is how tall you are if your tall the rumblefish wont feel that big of a bike some of my shorter friends still ride 26ers for that reason. Im also betting trek will go 650b next year and you might wish that you waited im putting my money on 650b or 29ers, but both bikes are amazing oh and if you only get a parking lot test ride it will be hard to compare both bike without the actual terrian you plan on riding the bikes on. Its incredible how well 29er climb. Hope this helpped Matt

T.W.O
    If you want to decide you will have to get into the 26er v the 29er debate. What kind of terrain are you riding, and what kind of rider are you? If you are doing primarily XC then you will want the 29er. If you like the descents the slacker HA and suspension on the fuel is much more confidence inspiring.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    29 vs 26 really is the only relevant comparison.
    ^ this

High Gravity Haze
    Having just sold my EX8 and still owning a RF1 the differences between the bikes for me have been that the EX is lighter and can be made even lighter more easily than the RF. The RF is great for trail riding and playing on the trails however for me it feels too bulky for racing. I would not consider the RF for 24 hr races however the EX took me through several of them.

The only reason I sold my EX was that it was a 2007 model and I knew that if I held onto it much longer, the resale value would plummet. Looking back I personally would forgo both the EX and the RF to get a Superfly 100 instead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    this is going to be purely for trail riding...i don't have the lungs or muscles for rides longer than a couple miles if i'm going at it

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I had the exact same dilemma a few months ago. Had my heart set on a Fuel ex8, especially this years black & red version, but then tried a RF elite one day and have never looked back. So glad I got it. Go 29"!

mtbr member
    I have rode both, and settled on the Fuel EX. I also ride a Remedy so you can say I am bias towards the nimbleness of the 26 size wheel.

Depends what you want to do. If you like to huck / rip tight trails then a 26 might be more to your liking. the RF and 29 in general tend to take more finese hauling them around tight twisty sections. if your into flowy single track with the ocassional tech areas then you will like the RF 29. if the stuff you ride is tight and twisty 29 will take a bit more brake than your used to.

for me the Fuel, specially the new 2013 geometry, is a do all bike that will serve you well. I have really liked my 2011 EX 9. I have XC race, time trial, mini DH, pumptracked, BMX,and AM mine and the big just keeps surprising me. i can actually take the Fuel into Remedy country, granted with more care, but yeah, it can ride the stuff. Trek nailed the ABP, full floater and geometry of the fuel.

both bikes are awesome. you cant go wrong with either. just depends on the terrain and style of riding you want to do. 29r are cool efficient cruiser that can really accelerate down hill and ride over things that you have to lighten up on a 26.

you cant go wrong with either. I would take the one that is priced the best for the level of spec being offered.