mtbr member
    May 2007

Fuel EX or Top Fuel?

Hi all.
    Please help me to zoom in on the right kind of bike. Here is my riding style:

- Multisport (running, biking, kayaking, skating)
    - For now I only attend "sprint" multisport races (i.e. 4-7 hours total, 1-2 hours bike)
    - A few mid range mtb races a year (20 - 60 miles)
    - Really enjoy 1-2 hours in the wood (very mixed terrain)
    - Not much for jumping/freeride
    - DH is fun. But I don't have that kind of terrain nearby, so.. no DH

Fuel EX9 seems like a really nice bike. But Top Fuel 9.8 seems faster.

What could I do/not do with these two bikes?

I realize that I might be in the twiligt zone between XC/Race and All Mountain. This categorization was unknown to me until lurking this forum.

I'm currently riding a Scott Comp Racing 2002 and I'm really longing for a full susser to eat all those roots we have in my terrain.

Thanks!
    //MIchael

mtbr member
    the ex 9.0 gets race duty on the trek sponsored team for hairier courses. its that responsive and nimble. 25lbs for a 5" bike...
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    I would go EX.. I can do anything on my EX8.. it handles everything wonderfully, and is not heavy whatsoever for its pricepoint in the 5" ballpark.

Great bike, would recommend to anyone.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like a Top Fuel would suit your riding style better than an EX. I love my EX8, but its more of a trail bike, slightly heavier, slacker head tube angle, somewhat slower, longer travel and less nimble than a Top Fuel. If you want something fast that is more versatile, capable and trail worthy and you have the bones, get a carbon EX such as the 9.0 or 9.5. Just my 2 cents. TB

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hmm. I hope I haven't exaggerated my skills by listing the above. I'm a long way from the podium in the races I attend.

I'm sure that the Top Fuel would be great for the races. But I'm a bit worried that it won't be any fun in aggressive terrain.

I'm also a bit worried about the rumours about Top Fuel carbon frame breaking.

I feel confident that the EX would fit most of my needs. But I'm a little bit worried that it will feel slow on straights and climbs.

Can anyone give any hints on how these two bikes compares my Scott Comp Racing (HT) in regards to speed and handeling?

//Michael
    Last edited by sgryd; 05-31-2007 at 03:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgryd
    Hmm. I hope I haven't exaggerated my skills by listing the above. I'm a long way from the podium in the races I attend.

I'm sure that the Top Fuel would be great for the races. But I'm a bit worried that it won't be any fun in aggressive terrain.

I'm also a bit worried about the rumours about Top Fuel carbon frame breaking.

I feel confident that the EX would fit most of my needs. But I'm a little bit worried that it will feel slow on straights and climbs.

Can anyone give any hints on how these two bikes compares my Scott Comp Racing (HT) in regards to speed and handeling?

//Michael
    Honestly man I would feel confident racing on my EX8.. It does not feel any slower to me than my old Trek 8000 hardtail. It just works, and it works great.. I can climb anything on it, and on the straights it feels awesome. The slack headtube angle is very comfortable, and now I dont like XC bikes as much since.. haha. I recently had the chance to go to Trek sponsored demo day and ride some new bikes, which included a HiFi Pro, a Supercaliber 29er, and a Top Fuel 8. After riding those 3 bikes, I am once again satisfied with the purchase I made in my EX8. I ride mainly with friends with full out XC bikes, and I have no problem keeping up or surpassing them on the Fuel EX.

Either way this is your choice, what you really should do is hit up a demo day if one is around your area and then decide, because ultimately riding the bikes on familiar terrain will give you the best idea of what you really like.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    May 2007

I'll go for EX9

Thanks everyone!
    Yes, a demo day would be swell. But Sweden is a small country. If you're in luck you can find a dealer with some low end bikes on show, but the high end bikes has to be bought unseen. That's very unfortunate, but I'll have to accept it as it is.

After much reading I've decided to go with the EX9. After I made the desision I got an answer from Trek about warranty void and child trailers. The answer was great! Warranty will not be void due to hooking up a trailer if you have the ZR9000 frame.

Now there is just the size issue.
    My size:
    176 cm long (I think this equals 5'9")
    75 kg (165 lbs)I'm I'll put that question in a new thread.
    80 cm (31,5") height between legs (dunno how to put it not to be misundestood =)

I was pretty sure I should have a medium (17,5") size. But according to Treks size guide ("stand over top tube") and my 80cm I should have size Large. Any comments on this? I'll take it up with my dealer of course, but I'd be glad for some second opinions from you.

I'd better put the size question in a new thread.

Thanks
    //Michael

mtbr member
    you are basically the same size as me and i ride a medium Ex8 (same frame and geometry). it fits me spot on and i ride aggressive XC/ trail with it. they have a large at my LBS and it would definitely be uncomfortable to ride. stick with the medium.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

NMBP/OMBA crew!
    go medium bro.
    http://ocalabicyclecenter.com/

Rubber side down is good for me

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am also your size and ride a medium EX9. Stick with the medium, it should be the best fit. By the way, you will love the EX9. I made the switch from a Giant NRS carbon (very XC race oriented), and am very pleased with the way the EX9 handles. I don't race any more, but wouldn't hesitate to do so on the EX9.

Good luck, and enjoy.