Phil
    Jul 2010

Is the Fuel EX 9 worth it over the 8?

So I sold my 29er Fuel EX 7 to go with the more playful 27.5". I demoed the Fuel EX 9 and loved it enough to want to purchase one. , but the price jump from the 8 to the 9 is huge. Is the 9 worth the difference over the 8? I like the 1x11 setup and the reverb. Rhythm wheels seem much better than the dusters in my opinion. Dr brakes are obviously better. What do you all think? Riding lots of rooty trails in the Charlotte metro area(which are great and convenient) and going to Pisgah every now and then. Would a Remedy be a better choice? I rode a size too small around the parking lot and thought it turned too slow(which is why I got rid of the 29er) but is was on the low setting. I'm definitely leaning towards the 9.

western NC
    I've been going through the exact same debate for myself actually. I'm supposed to borrow a buddy's Remedy 8 650b tomorrow for a demo ride also. One thing that I've thought a lot about however, is the cost of replacement parts on the 1x11. Hell, the cassette alone is $250.

Phil
    Jul 2010

Is the Fuel EX 9 worth it over the 8?

Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    I've been going through the exact same debate for myself actually. I'm supposed to borrow a buddy's Remedy 8 650b tomorrow for a demo ride also. One thing that I've thought a lot about however, is the cost of replacement parts on the 1x11. Hell, the cassette alone is $250.
    I know not to buy on color, but the remedy 7 is a good looking bike. Love the neon yellow/green(Fuel EX 9.8 in the same color is out of my price range) I think the remedy might be too much bike for me though. Local trails have a lot of tight turns so the more XC head tube angle would work better for me locally I think. I don't get to ride Pisgah that much, and I think the fuel could certainly handle it. Yeah. If Trek Care Plus comes back I would get that to cover replacement costs. Cassette cost is ridiculous.

western NC
    I haven't done Pisgah yet, but I'm going to this year though. I currently ride an X Caliber among other bikes, but much prefer the slacker HT angle on my SS though, even in tight switchbacks, but it is a 650b so that may factor in also. So I'm leaning towards a Remedy 29er, but who knows, and we all prefer something different for sure. I'm pretty good friends with my LBS owners, and word is IF Trek care comes back, there will be some changes made as far as normal wear and tear parts are concerned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was pretty much in your boat two weeks ago. I got a great deal on a 2014 Remedy 8 29er. I was deciding between the 8 and the 9 to the point where I ordered the 8 and called first thing the next morning to talk to my LBS about ordering the 9 instead. Essentially it was $1,000 difference between the two bikes which isn't exactly chump change to me.

After talking with them, I stuck with the 8 and kept a good bit of money in my pocket. Sure the dropper post, Kashima coated shocks and lighter wheels and hubs would have been nice, but to me $1000 wasn't worth it. I had the shop convert it to a 1 x 10 using a Race Face Narrow Wide Chain Ring and Bashguard which is the same set up I have on my 2014 Salsa El Mariachi. My LBS swapped the stock handlebar and stem for the Bontrager Racelite 60mm stem and handlebar. Between the stem, drivetrain and handlebar upgrades I figured to have dropped a little bit of weight

I'm not totally sold on a dropper post yet, so that was one thing holding me back from spending the extra money on the 9. I have ridden bikes with them and loved it, but the hydraulic posts seem to have some durability issues. When they become more reliable I think I'll make the investment. As for wheels, I am porting over my Race Face Turbine wheels from my El Mariachi build, and keeping the stock Dusters which are definitely heavier as a back up.

I did in fact ride a 2014 Fuel EX 8 and a Fuel EX 9 before deciding on the Remedy. I thought the 9 was a very fast and smooth compared to the 8. I think it was mostly due to the lighter wheels and better hubs.

Now on the Remedy vs the Fuel in terms of sizing which you mentioned above. In the Fuel Aluminum frame I would have gotten an 17.5 as the was 18.5 was too big. In the Remedy 29, I got a 19 and put a 60mm stem on it. The 17.5 Remedy was almost an inch smaller in the top tube than the Fuel, and it was way too cramped. The steering and bike came to life when I put the 60mm stem on it. It was much more responsive. I am 5' 10" with a 31" inseam I am longer in the torso and arms.

I don't know if this post helped at all, but in my case the two bikes were $1000 different in price. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, I think you just need to decide if the features are worth it to you. Look into a 2014, I know they have deals on the 29er Remedys and Fuels I'm not sure about the 27.5's. I got my 2014 Remedy 8 29er for $2400 which I thought was a great deal especially with the upgraded cockpit, and they did my Narrow Wide set up and no extra charge. The only reason I went with the Remedy was because I am keeping my El Mariachi so the Remedy gives me a completely different ride. If I was only going to have one bike I probably would have gone with the Fuel.