nOOb
    May 2008

Fuel EX 9 versus EX 9.7 same price

I'm choosing between these two bikes. I don't have much experience with the Sram X.7 on the 9.7 but I assume it's a bit lower level than the XT on the other bike? I noticed some differences in the shocks and the components, and the tires which isn't a factor as I'll replace those.
    I can't find the weight listed for either bike. The aluminum is sexy, but the carbon might ride a touch smoother which an old man like me appreciates. I could always upgrade the carbon bike parts as they wear out to better spec. stuff.

My main interest is xc racing and training, and just riding for fun here in the upper midwest.
    Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    depending on how serious you are with the xc racing, I'd go for the lighter frame and look to upgrade the parts.

nOOb
    May 2008
    I guess the HI FI Pro is sort of on the list too...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    All of those bikes mentioned are incredible bikes capable of winning races, assuming you are capable of winning a race. X.7 is very good, XT may be 5% better but there is a big difference in how Shimano and SRAM systems feel, you really need to test ride to determine which you prefer. A lot of us Midwest guys love 29ers because they fit our trails very well. Try and get a test ride to make up your mind.

99.9% of these bikes' "smoothness" is coming from the suspension and tires, NOT the frame material. Buy carbon if you are a serious weight weenie or parking lot racer, otherwise spend your money more wisely. My vote is for HiFi Pro.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Be sure to try a 29er. HT and FS. I'm not to far north of you and switched this year form a trek fuel EX7 to a Paragon. I'd vote for the HiFi as well. For me the 29er works well on single track and eats up fire roads and ski trails That many of the local races are held on. I'm looking forward to racing it this fall.
    my old ex7 has XT components, and the Paragon has SRAM x7/x9. I didn't think I'd like the SRAM at first, but I've really started to enjoy it. Shifts well and I have no complaints.

PS: I'm not sure how you determined "old man", but I'm getting there too according to my kids.

nOOb
    May 2008
    I currently have a 26" Fuel 98 (older model) with mostly XT 9 speed and a Redline d660 29er with partial Sram stuff on it.
    I think a 26er is adequate, but I do like the 29" wheels. Both of these bikes weigh around 28 lbs or so. I was hoping the technology has evolved enough nowadays that these bikes would be down around 25 lbs or so, but that's not the case. I am planning to sell both those bikes when I get the new one.
    As I look the Hi Fi Pro is becoming more attractive, I think if I have to have one bike to do it all a 29er fs would be the ticket. Possibly I could gradually change components as I get spare cash and customize it and make it lighter and more "mine". I keep eying up the Superfly 100, but that is definitely out of my price range.
    The bad part is that I can't test ride all of them, even around the block, I have to order something based off of internet research and it has to be a Trek product.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There are some Trek Demo days in the Twin Cities (Oct 1 and 2). I think its either Lebonon Hills or Murphy trials. In Sept there is also a demo day up in Cable WI at the fattire fest. http://www.trekfactorydemo.com/region.php?region_id=3

Make some calls to Twin Cities bike shops Its a bit of a drive, but if you can ride one or two of them it makes the descision easier. For a $3k bike its probably worth the effort. Penn Cyle web site shows they have a HiFi, SuperFly100 and Trek 9.7 in stock. Might not all be at the same store however.

For 2012 the HiFi looks like it will be called a Superfly. There will be like 5 different Superfly 100 models in both carbon and aluminum. So demo the Superfly and you will have a good idea about the HiFi.

nOOb
    May 2008
    Looks like I'll wait for a 2012. The LBS said that they get pictures and full specs. early next week, and they will let me know availability and ship dates. The deal is that I get any new bike for cost minus 25% (as part of a warranty for a road bike frame).
    The new Superfly that replaces the Hi Fi Pro comes with a 2 x 10 drivetrain I think, which is nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    How do you all like you Trek Fuel EX's? I am debating between:
    2012 Trek Fuel EX 9.7 and a 2012 Specialized Camber Comp Carbon 29.
    The Trek runs Shimano....while the Specialized runs SRAM.
    ALso....the Trek is a 26"....while the Camber is a 29"

I do a little of all trails.....my home terrain is the recently cristened Fort Ord Natural Monument....and even get out to the Santa Cruz mtns and Wilder Ranch.... ie lots of up hill, fire roads, single track downhill, ruts, and swtichbacks....

Thoughts advise? I currently ride a clunky and heavy 2001 GT iDrive 3.0.