mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Fuel EX 9 cosmetics

Alright, so now that I've had my pewter King headset on for a while, I'm starting to rethink my color selection. I love how the headset matches the frame/fork, but its almost too well blended. Any takers on sticking a red headset on there?

I'd also like some feedback on that carbon Bontrager XXX Lite stem. I'd think its a little flexy, but I also think it'd go well on my rig. Anyone got any other suggestions on how to make this thing look trick?

She's a little dirty in these pics, I've only hosed her off after 12 hours of Lodi farms
    Last edited by Peith; 05-09-2006 at 07:56 PM.

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    The headset you have looks fine, but red would look perdy too. I'm not a fan of carbon stems on mtb's. Depending on your weight it might not be a huge risk, but I wouldn't do it personally.

- Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    that bike looks so sick! i have my ex9 on order and am gettin it in like 2 days, how do u like it?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Peith,

I hope you're loving your EX9 as much as I'm loving mine! I personally like the Pewter Color better, but Red wouldn't look bad either. How many miles have you put on her so far? I can't ride mine enough - my darn job keeps getting in the way.

Hey, a little off topic, but is your rear MC3 Shock still squeaking at all? I was fooling around one today at the LBS and noticed there was no sqeak in it, however, the PSI was really low since the bike hadn't been ridden yet. Just curious.

Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scskim83
    that bike looks so sick! i have my ex9 on order and am gettin it in like 2 days, how do u like it?
    Man I love it. The thing really shines when you give it big hits. On technical courses I can't really tell I'm on a dualie (which is why its so good), but I can really bomb on rooty downhills.

Its just taken me on a 12 hour race to a 4th place spot, and that was my second time ever really mountain biking. That fuel is awesome : ) One thing I have noticed is that the rear carbon triangle actually serves to balance the bike out, what with the shock, linkage and all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by igere
    Peith,

I hope you're loving your EX9 as much as I'm loving mine! I personally like the Pewter Color better, but Red wouldn't look bad either. How many miles have you put on her so far? I can't ride mine enough - my darn job keeps getting in the way.

Hey, a little off topic, but is your rear MC3 Shock still squeaking at all? I was fooling around one today at the LBS and noticed there was no sqeak in it, however, the PSI was really low since the bike hadn't been ridden yet. Just curious.

Chris
    I'm sure I'm loving it at least as much as you!

I did notice a little squeaking when it was brand new. I also had some liquid gush out of the bottom of the shock, which is why my first post when I got my EX9 was "my new unrideable ex9"...turns out it was probably just water, havn't had any problems. One thing I WOULD recommend would be to keep a close eye on the linkage; check all the bolts before and after your rides. I'm going to re-lock-tight everything again as it has come loose (although its first real outing was a 12 hour endurance race where I bet the hell out of the bike).

Have you guys seen the EX7 WSD? I swear the Trek anodization guys are talking with the Chris King guys. The most recent batch of CK red headsets is a little maroon and matches the slightly maroonish red on the ex7 wsd perfectly, just like the Pewter and Pewter fuel.

You know, I've only seen one ex9 in person, discounting mine.