mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Fuel EX 9.0 on Cyclops trainer?

My GF has a Fuel EX 9.0 and just bought a CycleOps trainer. The trainer comes with a cheap QR so you don;t damage the normal QR, but on the Fuel rear end, the QR endcap is attached to the frame, with a bearing inside to prevent brake jack. Is there any way this can be removed to use the cheap QR, or will she have to use the end of the Fuel QR cap to attach the cheaper QR? This seems that it will damage the cap unless she covers it with a cloth or duct tape. Is there anything she could do?
    Thanx in advance.
    Last edited by ibisrox; 11-20-2008 at 07:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Does it have the ABP on it? If so, I don't think it is supposed to be used on a trainer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I thought the problem with the Fuels was the wider rear end that won't fit in a trainer. I asked my LBS about trainers that would fit earlier this year. He called Trek and they said no one had one, but that Trek would come out with one later on.

mtbr member
    The ABP QR is about 25mm (1") or so longer (if my memory serves me right) than a normal rear QR, so the standard QR supplied with the trainer will not work. FYI, the ABP end cap is not 'attached' to the frame. It kinda snaps in place so you don't lose it when you take out the QR skewer to remove the wheel. It rotates in its little pocket and you can pop it off if you want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

LBS says no

When I got my EX 9 I was having it fitted and the guy said never put the bike in a training stand because of the ABP.

mtbr member
    yes it is true you cannot fit the adp models in a trainer, and should you find a trainer wide enough you shouldnt fit it.

if you really have to use a trainer style apparatus then an alternate wheelset with slicks and rollers would be the ideal

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    None of the ABP bikes fit in trainers except for the new '09 Top Fuels. They're equipped with a modified concentric pivot arrangement that's lighter and narrower.