mtbr member
    May 2011

which fuel EX????

my lbs is having a pretty nice sale.

they have the '12 fuel ex8 and the '13 fuel ex6 for basically the same price. i'm torn between the two though.

this will be my first true mountain bike. i've been into bmx and dirt jumping most of my life but i'm feeling a little more adventurous and would like to go on longer rides out into the mountains around my area.

the ex8 has the better components package, but the frame is different between the two models. is the '13 the better deal with the newer frame and the extra suspension travel or is the '12 the better deal with the better components?

MTB B'dos
    The suspension design has not changed, they've only increased the travel by 10mm and I know for a fact you won't feel that 10mm difference in travel, but you will feel the difference in component level and performance. If they're both the same size and fit properly then go for it, but I'd see if you could at least pedal them around the parking lot before making a decision. DEF get the 2012 EX8 if they're the same price. Curious how tall you are and if you've looked at their 650B and 29" offerings.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i'm around 6'2, weigh about 185lbs.

i have not given thought to a 650B or 29" bike, i'm used to riding a 26" wheel (i ride DJ's regularly). i like the agility a smaller wheeled bike provides. and the benefits of a 650B or 29" wheel really wont apply to the places i plan to ride. it's all really smooth singletrack, fast and flowy. very few rough areas for the 650B or 29" wheel to shine.

MTB B'dos
    Have you actually even ridden a 650B or 29er before dismissing them? If you haven't actually ridden any, do yourself a favour and get a few test rides before you right them off following the BS stigma a lot spread of slow and not nimble.
    Quote Originally Posted by mchlmacdonald View Post
    i'm around 6'2, weigh about 185lbs.

i have not given thought to a 650B or 29" bike, i'm used to riding a 26" wheel (i ride DJ's regularly). i like the agility a smaller wheeled bike provides. and the benefits of a 650B or 29" wheel really wont apply to the places i plan to ride. it's all really smooth singletrack, fast and flowy. very few rough areas for the 650B or 29" wheel to shine.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I said nothing about them being slow or not nimble. I'm saying that the benefits they DO provide are not something I am in the market for. I am used to a 26" wheel, i am used to the way they ride and feel, so that's what i want. The new 29's and 650b's are also not on a closeout sale like the two bikes I am inquiring about.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have the 2013 Fuel Ex 7 and it is a great bike. The additional 10mm may not sound much but they are always welcome. Also the fork is actually a 140mm fork reduced to 130 so if you ever change it you can use a 140 one (so 20mm more) and still be within the same crown to axle dimensions.

Regarding geometry I tried to find the 2012 one but I couldn't. The 2013 has a 68 head angle that makes it really capable for all mountain use so it both goes up and down really well.

Regarding specs I have almost changed everything except for the shock and fork since I believe that they are not something great anyway and the same I believe about the 2012 one.

So my suggestion is to get the 2013 and either use it as it is or upgrade it as time passes. Because I believe that the frame and geometry are much more important than the specs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    For for the EX 8. I had a 2012 EX 6 and the components were rubbish. The EX 6 might have the extra 10mm of suspension but deore shifters feel like crap. The brakes are garbage as well. The EX 8 has SLX deraileurs and brakes. It might be worth upgrading to icetech pads and rotors down the road but if both bikes are new, I would go EX 8.

As for the discussions for 650B and 29er, I am in your shoes as well. I am 6', 180lbs and I don't care for them personally. I ride a Fuel EX 9.8 now with 26" wheels and I like the feel more. I may not have the smoothness of rolling over objects like the larger wheels do but for my enduro riding preference, I enjoy the 26" for now.