mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

Fuel Ex 6 vs Ex 7

Why is the head angle of the Trek Fuel Ex 6 71 deg, while the Ex 7 69.5 deg? They are both in the same class... I do notice that the front fork also are different sizes... Any other functional differences?

Which would be better for a beginner looking for a FS trail bike, style is not racing or going fast but more for the scenery...

Also, "people" say that one should not consider a FS bike under 2K, because they are not decent/will need to be upgraded. What about these- should I save up for Top Fuel or other higher model?

mtbr member
    One of the main differences aside the obvious componentry differences on these bikes is the EX7 is the lowest of the EX line that features bearing pivots on the rear, as well as an added pivot on the back, to help reduce the motion of the wheel going backwards when you hit a bump.. the EX7,8,9 all have the same frames essentially as far as I can tell.

Take a look at some of the closeups on the Trek site unless you can find better pics, and you'll see what I am talking about. It's just a more reliable (perhaps I meant maintenance free) and smooth setup than what the EX6 would offer you. I saw an EX7 at the LBS today and its honestly a great looking bike. The Recon fork is nice too.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yep - what FisherCraig said. The 2007 Ex 5 and 6 are a carryover of the frame used in the Ex line in 2006 whereas the Ex7, 8, 9, 9.0 and 9.5 use an all new frame. I'd definitely stretch for the 7 over the 6 as the improvement is significant.

Cheers

HillBilly.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    A steeper head angle (71) is going to provide snappier handling while a slacker head angle (69.5) is going to be more stable during a descent. The EX7 and up have more travel so they can be riden differently than a bike with less travel and a steeper head angle.

Having said that, I have an EX8 and absolutely love it. I agree with these other guys, if you think you want to get more serious pretty soon, make the stretch and get an EX7.

I also think that you can get a decent FS bike for around $1500. It's not going to be anything fancy, and you could get a great hardtail for that price, but it would do the job. Just like you can get a good hardtail for around $500. The pricier bikes start having changes in their geometry that some novices may find uncomfortable. Buy the bike, don't buy the price.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I ride an '06 EX6 and love it. But I have a serious case of upgradeitus so no telling what is going happen this year. I've seen the 07 EX line up close at the LBS and it looks good. If I keep upgrading parts like I have been, my son may be riding an 06 EX6 real soon.
    '06 Trek Fuel EX6
    Technical Skills Meter: 0

mtbr member
    the 07 ex7 can be had for 1600 new if you shop around
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My guess is that the EX 7 has a longer travel front fork which slackens the head angle. The EX 7 is more versatile and will be more stable on the descents and the parts spec is better. I own an 07 EX 8 with some upgrades. It is a terrific bike. Get the EX7, you won't regret it (plus, the color is awesome!). Bicycling Magazine recently voted the EX 8 as a runner up for best trail bike (the winner was the $2500 Titus Motolite Complete). I have owned many high end mountain bikes (including a ML) and my EX 8 is by far the best bang for the buck, its great looking, climbs well and is lots of fun to boot. The EX 7 shares the same frame as the EX 8. If you ride mainly smooth twisty single track or on pavement or fire roads, then the EX 6 with the steeper head angle may suit you better, but I would still go with the EX 7. It is lighter and more versatile and reliable and definitely more stable on the downhills. Watch for sales, particularly at the end of the summer or fall.

mtbr member
    hey trekboy, do u have a link to that magazine feature? im interested in reading it.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My buddies and I just upgraded all of our bikes and went with 4 treks and 2 GF. One guy went HiFi, my girlfriend went with Cake 3, Two of my buddies went with EX5s, one went with EX6, and I chose EX7. I talked to a buddy of mine at the LBS who is the mechanic and he said that they were having a lot of problems with the RockShox MC 3.1 that is on the EX6. I got mine last because they had to order it and it got here late. I let the other guys with EXs ride my 7 and they like the ride so much better. The decent is a lot more stable. It is noticeably lighter also. Just what I've experienced in the past week.