mtbr member

Frame size problem with Lush

Hi

I've purchased 2012 Trek Lush SL 16.5" for my wife.
    She was riding Trek Skye S 16" before. You know virtual-actual story with Trek therefore I thought 16.5" virtual which is 16" actual would be right size for her.

But not! Due to seattube shape of Trek FS bikes, seatpost is not going all the way down. At first I tried to cut seatpost, when I place saddle just right up the seattube end, it's ok for my wife. Her foot touchs the ground safely. However in this position riding is not comfortable, as there's not enough room for knee streching while pedalling.

Than I've purchased KV drop seat which is 300mm long and 75mm travel.
    It's perfect fit for pedalling, but this time when she drops the seatpost all the way down, due to cover ring of the seatpost it's still little bit high , she barely touchs the ground in that position.

So long story, what I ask in this post?
    I've sent an e-mail to Trek support if I could get frame only of 2012 Lush SL which is one size smaller (as she's in love with 2012 color, and don't like 2013 which is pure black!) but respond from Trek is not clear. They say they can't sell frame only and advise me to solve this issue with my Trek dealer.

Here where I live, this is the only Lush bike in all country. So my dealer can't help.

Any advice?
    2012 Trek Slash 9

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I don't get the seat post setting "Her foot touchs the ground safely". The settings I have seen for XC riding you can just touch the ground with your toes. Have her put her heel on the pedal with it in the down stroke (lined up with the seat tube) and her leg should almost be straight.
    The dealer would be the only person that can help you and should have fit the bike to her before you left the store.

mtbr member
    That's true.
    Only her toes touchs the ground, hower she wants to step the ground with her toes and heel fully.
    2012 Trek Slash 9

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If I set up a bike with my feet flat on the ground while sitting I can't ride it either and the bike is not setup correctly. Cranks and bottom bracket heights are pretty similar with a small difference in range and her inseam does not change so if you set the seat for pedaling comfort then she won't be able to touch the ground flat footed on any bike. The dropper seat post is the only thing that will work for her on any bike. Maybe you can find a different dropper seat post that will work or take the bike back to the dealer and order a smaller one. It sounds like the bike fits her she just wants something the bike was not designed to do. My wife is 5'-3" and rides a 15.5 SF100 and the seat post is 6" out of the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Oh, I forgot if you go to a smaller frame you need to think about top tube length which can only be changed by adding a different stem or setback seat post. I did look at the Trek site and they do make a 14.5 and 15.5 which may work with a dropper seat post, but would more than likely have to change stems. Hope you get it worked out because a unhappy wife is not good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yep, the age old problem of the beginner rider.

It is impossible to get the seat in the right position when the rider want to be able to have feet fully on the ground whilst seated.
    Working in a bike shop for 12 years dealing mainly with beginner/recreational riders we dealt with this a lot. Our approach was to demonstrate the correct mount/dismount technique so they wouldn't feel the need to come to a standstill with the bum still on the saddle. In most cases we were able to fit the rider with a much better seat height once they saw that they didn't need to be sitting down to stop safely.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"