mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Frame size for my wife

My wife and I just got new Trek mountain bikes. I got a Fuel EX 8 and she got a Lush S 29. She is about 5' 3". She got the 14.5" frame and really does not have clearance from top bar when she stands up. The long seat kind of pushes her farther to the front of the bike where the cross bar is higher. This was even worse on the Fuel. Is this just how it is for a short rider with 29" wheels?

Chad

mtbr member
    How does she feel when she rides it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    She said everything feels great when she rides, it's just hard for her to stop and put both feet down standing over the bar. When she stops, it's more of a lean and put one foot down, which is how I stop myself. I'm just tall and have the room to stand over the top bar if I need too. On her dirt bike we had the suspension lowered 2" and it helped a bunch. We also had about 12" of suspension on it.

mtbr member
    And your Trek dealer did a good job with sizing?

If the ride feels great then it sounds like they did a good job. FWIW with my 18.5" Fuel EX29er I'm tippy toes balancing on the seat if I try to stand but the ride is awesome. Mount/dismount is a lean it sideways, step "in" and go movement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My wife is 5'1" and rides a 14.5" Lush but in 26". If the seat is at a height for good climbing she has to do the lean to put her foot down, which she has gotten used to and doesn't even think about it anymore, I think...More often though she just lowers the seat some, she is willing to sacrifice the climbing for a lower seat on everything else. I would get her a dropper, but not sure if there is one that will fit that short of a seat tube without extending to where she can't touch the pedals practically. Check to see if the 29" seat tube has enough depth to accommodate a dropper for your wife, if so, she will think you are the bees knees. She could just drop the seat to dismount then.
    The best things in life are not things.

mtbr member
    Trek FS bikes (maybe most brands) are useless without drop seat. Thanks who invented drop seat.
    Because seatpost is not going all the way down.

My wife 5'3" and rides 16.5" Lush SL in 26" , without drop seat, she can't ride.

First we cut the seatpost to have her safe spot to place feet on ground, but than it's not ideal for pedalling. When we raise seatpost for ideal pedalling, than she can't put her feet easily to ground at emergency situtaiton.
    Finally I bought drop seat, so she fully extends it at climbs or normal pedalling, when she slows down, she adjust it to minimum position and dismount the bike easily..

Maybe you could go with 1 size bigger frame and drop seat..
    2012 Trek Slash 9

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Very cool idea! What do you think about the Rockshox Reverb? It has a nice lever and looks easy to use. I'll have to see if something like that will fit her bike. Hmmm, I might want one too!

mtbr member
    I have RS Reverb on my bike and it's the best drop seat I think.
    But I got KS Supernatural 75mm travel for my wife, which was cheaper than RS.
    2012 Trek Slash 9