Rockflopper

Frame damage - Trek Fuel Ex8 (my fault)

I ended up washing my bike today, but in the process I discovered this HUGE dent near the bottom bracket. Do you guys think its still safe to ride on this frame? Not sure when the dent happened but I haven't noticed any difference in the bike handling. The frame is a 2010 Trek Fuel Ex8. Sorry if this isn't the right forum but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Frame damage - Trek Fuel Ex8 (my fault)-img_20130216_185827.jpg

TXTony
    I would take it to a bike shop and have them look at it...but i think if it was mine I would still ride it and keep a good eye on it to see if you start developing cracks in that area..I would also keep both tires on the ground(no jumping)

Rockflopper
    Thanks for the advice...I just bought a new AM/park bike so this bike will be delegated to just XC riding from here on out. I just wanted to make sure this bike was still safe to ride on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had the exact same thing happen to my bike a few years ago, it was an EX7, but the same thing, and in the same spot. I actually sanded the area down to the bare aluminum, and added structural epoxy to it. I drilled a few very small holes so the epoxy had something to adhere to, in addition to the bare aluminum, and filled it in. Once it dried it was rock hard, and I have been riding it like that for years with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That sort of work will void the warranty. If you bought the bike used with no warranty for second owner, good to go. If you bought it brand new from a shop I would advise against home frame repair.

To the OP, if you're worried/concerned about your safety have your Trek shop inspect and assist you in making a judgement call. Trek is always very helpful in these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    I had the exact same thing happen to my bike a few years ago, it was an EX7, but the same thing, and in the same spot. I actually sanded the area down to the bare aluminum, and added structural epoxy to it. I drilled a few very small holes so the epoxy had something to adhere to, in addition to the bare aluminum, and filled it in. Once it dried it was rock hard, and I have been riding it like that for years with no issues.