mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Fox 32 CTD fork strange noise!

Hi everyone. I have a 2013 Trek Fuel Ex 7 and I am experiencing a strange sound / metallic noise from my Fox 32 CTD fork when inflated with 120 (and more) psi. To give you more details when I rapidly lift the fork by the handlebars I hear a metallic noise and when in drop it I hear the same sound again. Also when I rear brake there is a vibration coming from the fork. Funny thing when I reduce the air and use 110 psi or less the noise totally disappears. Does it happen to any of you? Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I took the bicycle to the LBS and the fork is problematic so we are expecting Trek's feedback to see if it will be replaced or fixed.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    How big are you?

I have a Fox 32 (one is an F29 Evolution CTD @ 120mm and the other just a regular F29 @ 100mm) on two different bikes and never need more than 90 to 95psi in either one. I am over 250lbs, so that is why I am curious why you would be needing that much pressure in yours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I am 110 kg and 120 psi is the recommended psi by both Trek and Fox. I usually run it with less air and due to the softer suspension the problems remains hidden but at 120 psi the problem is evident. Anyway I will have to wait to see what will Trek and Fox say since the Fuel is only 3 months old. I hope for a replacement fork.

PS. The bicycle has only 200 kms and was never abused since the maximum drops that I had only a couple of times were no bigger than 50 cm.

mtbr member
    I sent my 2012 Evo 32 120mm to fox a few weeks ago through my LBS and I received it back yesterday. I had a weird clicking sound coming from the lowers. They fixed it and replaced my lowers with the 2014 version - but the uppers still appear to be my previous version. I'd just send it to fox. Trek doesn't warranty those parts. Mine was done through warranty - 2012 Fuel Ex 7.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yes. The LBS after contacting Trek (I suppose just for confirmation) sent the fork to Fox service so for now all I have to do is wait.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The recommended air pressures are merely offered as a starting point, and I have found through my own personal experience that the factory recommended air pressure settings for forks (rear shocks have other considerations such as the lever ratio to consider) are always considerably higher that I would ever run.

I would suggest setting them by initial sag, and then by riding the bike see how much travel you use on an average ride. On an average ride, I would recommend using about 90% of the available travel if you're riding anything more than totally buff singletrack. For me, this usually puts my initial sag at about 30% to 32%.

If I was racing, I might bump up the air pressure to get an initial sag of about 25% to get better pedaling efficiency at the expense of some small bump compliance.

JMHO, and YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    You are right. Usually I run it with 100 psi and around 30% sag and it is plush enough but with this pressure the problem was hidden. When I took it to the LBS and the 2 technicians there heard the noise they were really surprised. And it wasn't a small noise but rather a big metallic one and also there a noticeable flex.

Anyway I trust that they will either fix it or replace it otherwise I won't take it back. And having the LBS by my side really helps.

mtbr member
    Was your fork part of the Fox recall?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi. Yes it was. While the recall was on air the fork was in the Fox service so they changed both the lower legs that they think caused the issues above and upgraded the damper to the FIT one as a good gesture because of some complaints I had from them regarding their a previous experience.

I didn't have the change to test it thoroughly but I will do it in a week and post back.