JLM
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Fork Recommendations for 2000 Klein Attitude

Posted this in the fork forum, but figured I'd do so here also...
    I have a nice tax refund this year and I am upgrading the fork from my 2000 Klein Attitude (size Medium) from the OEM Manitou SX-E to something better. I have been told that year won't take to a 100mm very well, so I am going with an 80mm. Was looking at the Fox F80X or F80RLT (probably the X), and was wondering if any of you dedicated Klein riders had any recommendations or input. What should I expect with the geometry? Will the longer axle-to-crown height of the Fox mess my steering up and how could I tell (slow speed/high speed?). Any help you guys could provide would be great. I am a light rider (135lbs/5ft9), so I can handle a little heavier fork. Thanks

Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JLM
    Posted this in the fork forum, but figured I'd do so here also...
    I have a nice tax refund this year and I am upgrading the fork from my 2000 Klein Attitude (size Medium) from the OEM Manitou SX-E to something better. I have been told that year won't take to a 100mm very well, so I am going with an 80mm. Was looking at the Fox F80X or F80RLT (probably the X), and was wondering if any of you dedicated Klein riders had any recommendations or input. What should I expect with the geometry? Will the longer axle-to-crown height of the Fox mess my steering up and how could I tell (slow speed/high speed?). Any help you guys could provide would be great. I am a light rider (135lbs/5ft9), so I can handle a little heavier fork. Thanks

Jeff
    The sterring will be a little slower than what you're used to with the manitou. Forks these days do have longer axle to crown lengths as you mention, even with the 80mm forks. Honestly tho, the Attitude is a pretty fast handling bike regardless, so a little slacker head tube angle won't really make it all that sluggish. With my old attitude, I always felt like I was going over the handlebars and sometimes i wished for a slacker head tube angle. also, unless you are a big weight weenie, you can get the F100X and reduce it down to 80mm with a spacer that Fox provides. That way in case you want to swap the fork out to another bike later. It will weigh more than the F80X. anyways, something to consider.

oh yeah, Fox forks are pretty much the forks to get these days. You won't be disappointed.

GL,
    -don

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have had 2 Attitude frames and used a Fox Float 100 RLC on one and a Fox F100 RLT on the other. I've never run it at 80mm but I've never felt like I was hurting for steering response. My first attitude race frame was a 2001 and the current one is a 2004 Attitude V just to give you background.

As mentioned get the 100mm version and make it an 80mm if you feel you need the steering response.

Fox is definitely the only way I would go after riding one. I would personally get an F100 RLT and have it PUSHED vs getting an F100X.

mtbr member
    I had a 2001 Attitude - same geo. and ran it with some 100mm dukes, no problem. What tiny percentage difference you lose in steering reponse you will more than make up in your overall better suspension performance. The Adept I run now (also supposedly should be running on 80mm) has been fitted with 100mm forks too - see my last post on 'post your trek/klein/fisher' thread for a pic.
    Fit 100mm and, in comparison they will feel bottomless in comparison to the ol 80mm set up - No reason not too

Harrumph
    I'm jumping in late here but I think a vote for an 80mm fork is called for. Depending on what you are wanting to do with it. If this is a trail bike go for the 100mm, but if you are planning on doing more racing or more than trail toodeling I'd stay with the 80mm. Remember also that all the angles change not just the head tube angle and you would be taking from the bikes strength, climbing. And yes the change is small but it does make a difference. For a while I had my older Attitude set up with a 100mm Zooch EXR and a newer Attitude with an 80mm SID so I had the opportunity to ride the two back to back and thought the bike just felt right with the SID. 80mm travel forks get a bad rap because many SID's and other XC forks have crappy internals and the quality of travel sucks. But a Marzocchi or Fox will have a much better feel so 80mm won't feel as inadequate as it does with a SID or Skareb.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Any thoughts on a 05 Manitou Minute 2 100mm for 01 Klein Attitude? The prices on Minute 2 are too good to pass up. I'm still running the stock Manitou SX on it, but with my clydes weight, I am not sure how much longer it will last.

The other option that I have been looking it is an OEM Fox F80X, but it's much more pricier than Minute 2.