mtbr member
    May 2006

On the Floor Model v/s Out of Box

My friend wants to get a bike, but the only peice that the LBS has is on the floor model. He says that on the floor bike has been tested a lot, may have taken a lot of abuse, so he doesnt want that one. He wants a fresh, right off-the-box model. But the shop insists that there is nothing wrong with the on the floor model. I got my trek 4900 custom assembled so I really have no idea on what to say to him...

What do you guys think? should buying a on the floor bike give troubles? the store says that all the warranties do apply to the on the floor model. or should he wait for the store to get fresh stocks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    just get the one off the floor so
    A) he does not have to wait for one to come in
    B) all cabels are stretched out
    C) abuse ? it's riding in the parking lot
    D) you don't have to come back to get it

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Floor models at bike shops are not like floor models at best buy. If he refuses to buy what the bike shop has in the store and orders a fresh one, I am sure that he will forever get less than stellar service from that store. Also, don't be surprised if they charge you shipping if you want to order one

Warrior's Society
    I agree. The floor model is not like a demo model that is allowed to be taken out on the trails. Worse that has happened to that floor bike is it has been ridden down and up a curb. If it looks scratched and chipped, then maybe ask for a couple of bucks off. Otherwise, there is nothing to worry about.

mtnbikej