mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Flex in ABP convert?

I have a stock 2012 Trek Remedy and noticed that when I move my rear wheels from side to side, I could see my disc rotors move side to side, touching both brake pads. I do not feel any play on the wheels or suspension pivots and was wondering whether this is normal.

I was also wondering if this flex is in the ABP convert, somewhere in the hub (shimano deore m525), or the suspension pivots.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The ABP pivots needs to be torqued at 200lb/ft. Make sure this the case.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks. Yes, I did torque the ABP pivots and checked the other pivot bolts.

I went to the bike shop and checked a 2014 EX 8 29ner and it was doing the same though a bit less, probably because it has 142x12 through axle. I also checked a Trek hardtail (probably a Stache) and has the same movement. I've also checked a Ghost AMR (full suspension) w/ the thru axle and it was more solid than the Trek.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am having the same problem with my 2014 fuel ex 8 29er, I tightened the abp up accordingly and even made sure all the pivot points were tight and the hub aswell. Still has a little bit you play. Even called trek and they were no help... Let me know if you find a fix or if anyone has any suggestions

Huh....my 2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro is solid. What wheelsets are you guys running?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm just running the stock wheel set for now. Sealed cartridge bearing hubs, bontrager duster rims. At the shop I work at most of the trek full suspensions have the same exact play in the rear end... According to trek there should be absolutely no play. Also they said they've never heard of this issue before...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My wheelset is also stock which uses Deore hubs. I do feel that some of my spokes aren't that tight anymore but the hubs should not be affected.

I've emailed Trek a couple of weeks ago and they gave me a case no. However, they have not answered my query. I will post once I get an answer from them.

I kinda assumed its was normal when I checked the newer EX 8 as well as a trek hardtail. When I first tried moving my front wheel (w/ 15 mm thru axle) just as basis of comparison, I did not notice such flex but looked again today and there is also a slight side to side movement in my rotors if I look closely.

Maybe it is the Deore hubs. I wonder if there some flex/minimal play between the Bearing/axle/hub interface that while I do not exactly feel it, there is that slight movement when forced.

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Hello,

i can't comment on the standard 135 non-through models, but i noticed that the 142x12 Maxle with the expanding on my '12 Rumblefish Pro is hard to set up right.

Too much tension is risking failure, a little too less tension instantly brings noticable and audible play of the rear wheel (Hope Hub) in it's dropout.

Also, every once in a while i need to readjust the screw hidden behind the QR. See http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/ah...-000_rev_a.pdf

Note: '13+ Treks come with a Bontager 142x12.
    Last edited by de lars cuevas; 08-11-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My bike also has the 142x12 rear thru axle. No matter what I do there is still noticeable play. It's very annoying that a new bike already has that much play in it...

Quote Originally Posted by de lars cuevas View Post
    Note: '13+ Treks come with a Bontager 142x12, and Sram have redesigned the Maxle
    Funny, my Rock Shox Maxle 142mm axle with Bontrager RXL wheels, is rock-solid...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Are you all describing "play" in the rear end in which there is movement with little force, or flex under heavy force? My Fuel 29er has no play, and the rear is very stiff on the trail, but like any trail or XC bike if you apply heavy force you can see slight movement in the wheel if you apply heavy force to the side...but the Fuel has in inherently stiff rear compared to most. If there is play in a new bike, I would take it back until they solved it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    In my case the play is with little force. You can just grab the tire and move it side to side to feel the play. Mine is a fuel 29er aswell, I can't just bring it back, I work at a shop and ep'd it. But we have tried everything to fix it here at the shop and have not had any luck. Trek is no help either so idk what else to try.

Kick Start My Heart

Re: Flex in ABP convert?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassy toe View Post
    In my case the play is with little force. You can just grab the tire and move it side to side to feel the play. Mine is a fuel 29er aswell, I can't just bring it back, I work at a shop and ep'd it. But we have tried everything to fix it here at the shop and have not had any luck. Trek is no help either so idk what else to try.
    This is an interesting read.
    In our world, (highline automotive), when all else fails, we start comparing, and measuring against a known good unit until we find it, then report back to the manufacturer.
    Something has to be different btwn a good/bad bike.
    It is not cool when the mfg gives up, and we have to chase it in the field!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Flex in ABP convert?

Have you tried another wheel? I'm guessing hub isn't tight
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    Have you tried another wheel? I'm guessing hub isn't tight
    That's my guess too. The 142x12 Maxle fits so precise, I simply cannot imagine it allowing any play whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Have you checked the main pivot for tightness or problems. I had one go bad and the back end was very loose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was at the Trek dealer today where I got my bike to check other Trek bikes and noted that they seem to have the same issue. I held the bikes steady on the seat, and moved the wheels side to side. I checked a 2013 remedy, Superfly, and EX8 and I can make the rotors move side to side. It was hard to see on the Slash because the pads were fairly tight that it was rubbing on the rotors. I guess there really is some lateral flex (no play) somewhere in the hub/axle/rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I did try a different wheel but it was a 135 no thru axle so I had to switch over the abp convert aswell, after doing so the play was gone.... I actually called trek again today and gave them some sass and they finally caved in and are sending me a new wheel, they also said if the wheel doesn't fix it the they will send me new ABP hardware. So hopefully after all is said and done my fuel 29er will be wobble free!