mtbr member
    Sep 2004

fisher frame sizing: L vs. XL

Apologies for starting another thread concerning frame sizing, but the search feature on here isn't working.

I'm 6'3", 35" inseam. Looking at a cobia/x-caliber. The L frame seems just a touch too small, and the XL a tad too large - what would you do? Band-aid the L with a longer stem and riser bars, or put a shorter stem on the XL.

I was also considering a Niner, but I can get a complete fisher for much cheaper. Bring this up because the Niner geometry is similar, and they recommend the Large (19") for 6-6'4", and the XL for 6'2" - 6'8".

Thanks for the advice!
    -Ken

The Machine Is Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen
    Apologies for starting another thread concerning frame sizing, but the search feature on here isn't working.

I'm 6'3", 35" inseam. Looking at a cobia/x-caliber. The L frame seems just a touch too small, and the XL a tad too large - what would you do? Band-aid the L with a longer stem and riser bars, or put a shorter stem on the XL.

I was also considering a Niner, but I can get a complete fisher for much cheaper. Bring this up because the Niner geometry is similar, and they recommend the Large (19") for 6-6'4", and the XL for 6'2" - 6'8".

Thanks for the advice!
    -Ken
    This is one of those situations that shows just how inexact of a science frame sizing is (unless you're riding a Seven....LOL)

If I were in your situation, I'd go with the L frame. I ride a M-sized Joshua X1, and I'm 5'11". The reason I'd do this is because the steering on a smaller frame is quicker than on a larger frame. You'd also probably notice more frame flex on a larger frame as opposed to a smaller one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am 6 feet tall, 215 lbs. I ride a 19" (large) Fisher frame and it is a perfect fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    again, i guess what i'm getting at is that i can band-aid either one, but in your experiene, better to run a longer stem on smaller bike or shorter stem or larger bike?

thanks,

Three sheets to the wind
    I'm 6-2 with a 36" inseam and I ride a large Sugar 2 that I tweaked to fit me by switching the stem. I was also able to fine tune the fit by seat and bar adjustment. The cranks worked fine. I'll ride this bike on anything, I feel very comfortable, attached and in control. I like the smaller frame, it seems to make the response a little more nimble.

No longer 26

Body type?

I am long legged. 6-1 and ride a large sugar. Wish I had bought an XL because I would have less seatpost stress and bars slightly higher because of a longer head tube.

I would recommend the XL unless you like your front bars a lot lower than the seat.
    Cheers,
    Greg
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004

go with the XL....

XL all the way is my recommendation for you..... I'm also 6' 3", and have 34-35 inseam..... my XL rig fits perfectly.....and is extremely stable under me. My neighbor got a Sugar 293 in the Large size, and it's amazing how much different it feels to me when I sit ON it..... that's right, it feels much more like I'm on that bike, rather than IN it as I feel in my XL..... Prior to the XL Rig, I rode a Surly 1x1 in XL size FWIW....

I'm not a big believer of going smaller when caught between sizes... I've always found that the extra stability of a larger frame at speed more than offsets any perceived (and often imagined IMO) loss of maneuverability. I find myself travelling at higher average speeds, and safer, on a frame that is larger.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    hmm, man, kinda of in the same situation except between a medium and a large at 6 ft. If I do go with a large I'll prolly have to swap out the stem because the large comes with a 105mm stem which is pretty long.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fanghasyou
    hmm, man, kinda of in the same situation except between a medium and a large at 6 ft. If I do go with a large I'll prolly have to swap out the stem because the large comes with a 105mm stem which is pretty long.

Thought I better throw my 2 cents in here.

I am 6'1" and ride a large Supercal with a 90mm stem. Fits me perfect. I am also using a post with no setback, although the saddle is almost as far back as it can go on the rails.

HammerHead
    Go with XL, it should fit you better.
    We just bought couple of GF Genesis bikes Piranha and Marlin. We got L for 5'11", and XL for 6'2". We just completed 50 mile 4000 feet MTb ride, and nobody was fatigued.
    Issues to consider
    1.Long top tube or stem, stretch you more, but make climbing/control easier
    2. when considering larger frame make sure you have enough clearnce between top tube and family jewels.
    3. You can move your seat forward or backwards by 1.5", you can also get handle bars with various risers and bends to accomodate favorite riding position.
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3 29er
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for all the input, everyone. To answer someone's question - I have a pretty proportioned, average build (not especially leggy or tall in the torso). 200 lbs in the winter with a bit of a beer gut, maybe 190 in summer. Family jewels should be good with either standover.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

XL for me.

I'm 6'21/2" , almost 35 inch inseam. I got the XL Rig. These 29ers seem to have a long wheelbase, still I think the XL is good for me. I use a straight seatpost and a 110 stem, I'd like to try a 100mm soon. Yes you have to think about the head tube lenght and seems the Fishers have had a problem with breaking at the seatpost/top tube intersection if not enough seatpost inserted. Lots of standover.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    it seems the majority is recommending XL (21"). I'm going back to the dealer this weekend, will spend time on both.

Thanks for the input - keep it coming!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just bought the Marlin in an XL two weeks ago and ride on gnarly singletrack. I'm only 6'1 1/2" without shoes but I'm long legged for my height. I feel like the 21" frame is right for me. I feel like I'm more in than on top of the bike. I feel less likely to go over the handlbars on this bike than on an L frame. At 6'4" I think the Genisis XL frame is a sure fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm 5'11" and have had a chance to demo some 26" supercalibers (Medium and Large) and a longer term test on a Medium Sugar 293 with a 110mm stem. I preferred the way the large frame felt on the 26" bike, but if I went with a 29er, i would get the medium. The wheel base is already pretty long on a 29er, so they are plenty stable, plus the bigger wheels diminish the "over-the-bars" feel that a long stem gives you on a 26 inch bike.

Double-metric mtb man
    Myself, at 6' and built like a brick wall with a bit of a paunch, I went for the Lg frame for my Cake.

For me, it fit like a glove with the seat back a bit, but for someone larger, it would be a bit of a squeeze. You're likely going to need the XL, but may need to adjust it down a bit with the seat and stem.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm 6'3", 200# w/ 35" inseam and on a L '02 Sugar 1 w/ a 135 mm 0 rise stem. If you go by some frame size calculators the cock pit (seat front to handlebars) is a 1/4" short when looking at my dimensions. I have ridden 19" (L) and 20.5"+ (XL, but not fischer) frames and found the larger frames to be stable but lathargic. In my opinion, you may want to look at what you'll be riding on. If you'll be riding mostly fireroads or trails without technical features, stability and the XL may be the way to go. If you think you'll be on technical terrain and need responsiveness or ability to toss the bike about, agility and the smaller frame might be a little better. Note that traditionally a longer stem means less steering responsiveness as you'll need to turn handle bars farther (distance) to get the same angle at the steerer tube. With the technical stuff i like to ride I am often out of the saddle and leaning the bike. I feel my style is more tuned to using a smaller frame.

I always thought being on the cusp or 2 difference frame sizes was a curse, but maybe it's a gift... I can pick 2 frames that will fit me well, but can choose one according to my riding style.

Good luck,

Tom

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I'm having exactly the same problem at the moment, looking for a new bike and like the Fisher 29ers. I'm 6'2" and 34" inseam, depending on the manufacturer, bike, frame geometry etc, etc I can either fit a L or XL framed bike. From the bikes I've been sitting on to try for size I think I'm fine on the Fisher Genesis frames in a 19" due to the longer top tube, but other bikes give me that "over the bars" feel unless I go for the larger sized frame.

I think your slightly taller size edges you more toward the XL though. Definitely update this thread with your decision though.

Double-metric mtb man
    Yeah, 6th, I was sorta in the same boat.

The longer top tube on the GF's made a big difference... It is why I ride the 19" Cake frame. I rode a bunch of bikes from other manufacturers and would have needed the 21" frame from most of them in order to have room for my knees and to have a comfortable reach.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me