mtbr member

Good job! Finally got my new bike!

it's a fuel ex8 and boy is it nice! its a big leap over my $90 Roadmaster (yea i know, but on the plus side ive had it a long time).
    i know i should ask this in the shocks forum, but let's kill two birds with one stone and i want to know model specific info, how do ya'll have your front fork set up and how do you do it as far as rebound goes. btw im about 180lbs (don't use kilos sorry).

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I wanna say I'm about 6 clicks from slowest on both shocks. I don't use Propedal, I think the bike climbs and handles better with the shock fully open - something that I didn't really expect to happen, but now I love it.

Welcome to the EX8 club. You're gonna love it.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Sims
    it's a fuel ex8 and boy is it nice! its a big leap over my $90 Roadmaster (yea i know, but on the plus side ive had it a long time).
    i know i should ask this in the shocks forum, but let's kill two birds with one stone and i want to know model specific info, how do ya'll have your front fork set up and how do you do it as far as rebound goes. btw im about 180lbs (don't use kilos sorry).
    If you go through the manual there are directions for correctly setting the Sag and rebound.

I'll go over it quickly.

Sag is the displacement caused by rider weight alone. Personally I have mine set at 15% front 25% rear. This is personal preference!

To set the front I tied a trash bag tie around one of the forks. Push the tie all the way to the bottom. Mount the bike, use a ladder or a step so that you don't compress the shocks while mounting. Assume riding position while using a wall or something for balance. The shock should compress somewhat under your weight. Get off using the ladder or step. Now measure the displacement of the zip tie. Compute the percentage ((displacement/total travel) * 100). Now add or bleed air from the shock until you hit your goal.

Do the same for the rear shock, it should have a rubber o-ring on it already so there's no need for the zip tie.

As for rebound that mostly depends personal preference and trail conditions. You want to have the shock rebound crisply so that it doesn't get "packed up" IE: Is not active because it can't recover from compression fast enough. However you don't want it to rebound so quickly that you feel like it's "bouncing" you off.

Try going to a parking lot that has a few different height obstacles. Ride off them and adjust the rebound till you find something that works for you.

Another options is to push down hard on the bars while standing on the ground. If you feel like your hands are pulling the front wheel off the ground try increaseing rebound. If it feels like the wheel is pushing your hands up quickly try decreasing the rebound.

Do the same for the rear.

Remember that you want the shock to be optimally damped, not too fast, not too slow.
    My religion is simple. My religion is kindness. - Dali Lama

mtbr member
    Congrats on the EX8.. I have a 2007 myself and I also love it.

Regarding the shocks, you honestly just have to experiment and find what works for you, but as Fairchild said, its just a matter of remembering you need a balance, not too fast, nor slow, on the rebound.

Great bike, you're gonna love it.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    well i have my rear shock set up with about 150psi and am still playing with the rebound. for the fork its about 80psi, but i droped it down a little to see what would happen, some blueish oil came out of the air hole. is this normal?
    i also played with the pro pedal. i could tell a difference in the stiffness of the shock vs. open. but climbing and riding i just left it in open. didnt like the ride of the lock at all.

mtbr member
    i run 150psi rear and im 175 with gear. its very supple and yet i dont bottom out on the rough stuff (i ride the crap out of the bike). i generally keep it in propedal. i run two clicks from full slow for rebound front and rear. i encounter a lot of big hits but not "rumble strip" type terrain, so i don't need it to spring back terribly fast. in the fork i think i run ~75psi and im very plush.

im going to experiment with open/pp and adding one or two more clicks of rebound just for shits and giggles. the bike is so pleasing to ride, but you need to get a hundred miles or so on it to really get into tuning it perfectly for your style.

also, going tubeless is the only thing i reccomend you do to your bike. its like velcro if you run good tires, and no more pinch flats! i run a nevigal 2.1 dtc and a blue groove 2.1 dtc and its a killer combo on loose root-y terrain.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Sims
    well i have my rear shock set up with about 150psi and am still playing with the rebound. for the fork its about 80psi, but i droped it down a little to see what would happen, some blueish oil came out of the air hole. is this normal?
    i also played with the pro pedal. i could tell a difference in the stiffness of the shock vs. open. but climbing and riding i just left it in open. didnt like the ride of the lock at all.
    Oil will end up leaking through the seals, it's inevitable. After most of my rides the rear shock piston has an oil/dirt combo muck on it.

You'll need to wipe down the pistons with a rag every now and again.

I use pro-pedal the most, and switch it into open for coming down. I've only used the lock out once on a real long, fireroad climb.
    My religion is simple. My religion is kindness. - Dali Lama