This space for rent!

New question here. Fed up with 2010 Avid Elixir brakes on Trek Fuel EX 9

All,

Been searching through posts, didn't find anything conclusive. I've got a Trek 2010 Fuel EX 9 with stock brakes - Avid Elixir R. They've been a total pain in the a$$ for the last 2 years. I get the 'turkey warble' in the back, constant rub in the back, and the front tends to lose pressure, and require many pumps occasionally to get lever to normal position. LBS has worked on it, but issues return shortly. I'm thinking either XT or XTR brakes, but the shared mount with the SRAM shifters would make that tough. I've heard the newer Elixirs might be better, but still not up there with XT/XTR. Anyone find a mount to allow SRAM X9 shifters to work with a XT/XTR brakes, or had better luck with newer Elixir brakes?

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The matchmaker can be disconnected and a regular (separate) shifter clamp put on.

I'd go XT myself, unless you can find a good deal on some budget Formulas.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

This space for rent!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    The matchmaker can be disconnected and a regular (separate) shifter clamp put on.

I'd go XT myself, unless you can find a good deal on some budget Formulas.
    I found a clamp, part number 11.7015.033.000 on this page:
    Universal Cycles -- Sram MTB Trigger Shifter Parts

calling it an 07 - 12 X0 and X9 clamp. Does that look like what I'd need then? If I solve the shifter issue, any reason to not look at the XTR Trail brakes? I'm 175 lbs, ride mostly cross county with an occasional XC race thrown in. Occasionally ride in mud, but mostly dry. Also, any reason these XTR brakes wouldn't work with my Avid rotors (180s I believe). Or are those partly to blame for my issues, and I'd be better off with Shimano?

Chuck

This space for rent!
    Here is a better picture of the clamp:
    Google Image Result for http://www.bikeman.com/store/graphics/00000001/product_images/LD/LD5903.jpg

I'm hoping that is what I need for my X9 shifters (does one model clamp work for either side?).

Chuck

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Before I moved to my Elite 9.7 Trek I had a Stumpjumper with the Avid Elixir R and the "turkey warble". I got rid of that noise by replacing the rotor with an Alligator serrated rotor, Kool Stop brake pads, and using CRC brake quiet on the edge of the brackets holding the brake pads. Worked like a charm but seemed a bit much for what should've been taken care of through the development.

Afric Pepperbird
    Just a suggestion, you'd get much more traffic to your post, if you post this question in the brake forum, rather than the Trek forum.

Brake Time

This space for rent!
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Chuck

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    go with XT brakes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have a 2009 EX 8 and I want to switch from my Juicy 5's to XT's. Will I need to order any of the Shimano adapters to make it work? I was going to order the 180mm ice tech rotors as well.

This space for rent!
    For the levers, or the calipers? Or the rotors?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckChurch View Post
    For the levers, or the calipers? Or the rotors?
    The calipers. There are a couple different types of mounting adapters available when ordering the brakes. I'm not sure which ones I need.

This space for rent!
    Man, I didn't think of that. I was assuming those were more specific to the bike and rotor size than the caliper, and that the adapters the bike came with for it's certain size rotors would be fine, whether Avid or Shimano.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Man, I didn't think of that. I was assuming those were more specific to the bike and rotor size than the caliper, and that the adapters the bike came with for it's certain size rotors would be fine, whether Avid or Shimano.
    Maybe it is. I don't know much about installing any of this stuff.

This space for rent!
    Come to think of it, my adapters from my old Giant with a 5 inch rotor and Hayes brakes fit on my Trek when I tried to put a smaller rotor on the bike. I guess they're kind of universal, and really just exist to accommodate various size rotors. Just a hunch though....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a 2011 EX 8 with Elixir 5's and they were junk, constant brake drag, frequent bleeds, spongy brakes, noisy. I replaced them with the XT's Icetechs and they are awesome!! I stripped everything out and went full XT. I had to buy the appropriate caliper adapters to fit the rotors I'm running since the Avid adapters didn't seem to work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Have you concidered SLX? Great brake very little difference if any in braking power over XT. I put a set on my EX8 a few months ago and love them. I think the only difference is some sort of engagement adjustment on the XT that is not on the SLX.

Here is a link for $80 for SLX ice tech. Save you $80 on the set over the XT's. You should have no issue using your stock rotors and hardware. I am using a 185mm front avid rotor with my front SLX brake. I reused all my spacers/bolts from my old brakes with no isssues.

BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M675 IceTech Disc Brake w/ Adapter
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I too have a 2011 EX8. If you did not use the centering spacers from the old brake set the rotors and caliper would not clear.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Sooz
    All,

Been searching through posts, didn't find anything conclusive. I've got a Trek 2010 Fuel EX 9 with stock brakes - Avid Elixir R. They've been a total pain in the a$$ for the last 2 years. I get the 'turkey warble' in the back, constant rub in the back, and the front tends to lose pressure, and require many pumps occasionally to get lever to normal position. LBS has worked on it, but issues return shortly. I'm thinking either XT or XTR brakes, but the shared mount with the SRAM shifters would make that tough. I've heard the newer Elixirs might be better, but still not up there with XT/XTR. Anyone find a mount to allow SRAM X9 shifters to work with a XT/XTR brakes, or had better luck with newer Elixir brakes?

Thanks,

Chuck
    Hi Chuck: Sorry for the late reply, but I also have an EX9. I changed from the Avid Elixir R brakes to Shimano XT brakes (M775) and the Shimano brakes are MUCH better.