noob wheel drive

Experience with Bontrager Camino wheels?

Since I had bent my rear wheel, I had purchased my long awaited replacement wheel. (I waited 4-6 months for this ) My dad brought me to the bike shop, bringing with me my rear wheel and the parts that stuck to it. I decided to get a Bontrager Camino wheel with the addition of a new tire (a Bontrager Jones ACX for those loose, sandy conditions).

(BTW, I'm a Bontrager/Trek fanboy )

After buying those two and having all $500 of my birthday money confiscated (from all the dam repairs on my bike, supposively), I wondered how the Camino does in terms of performance. Sadly, I couldn't find a single dam review. So, I ask of you guys, please write some reviews for teh Bontrager Camno wheels. Was it worth buying? What are some things I'll have to watch out for?.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    This interests me too...I will need to replace the rear wheel on my Trek4500 pretty soon (the groove has worn off)...so I am wondering if I should get the same or upgrade to something better? Unfortunatley I do not have much experience with wheels so can't comment on how they compare to other wheels...they seem to roll alright.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Bontrager stock components

The easy answer is if they are Bontrager stock components (SSR, Camino, Select, etc.), Bontrager intentionally fails to post the specs on their website. The reason for this is these parts SUCK, they weigh a ton, and they are made of inferior materials. I'm completely disgusted w/ Bontrager and I now refuse to use their parts or have them on my bikes. Their high-end stuff may be good, but I'm not going to spend the money to find out. Plus, their aftermarket parts are about 30-40% more expensive than comparable components from other companies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ..on a side note. Can anyone tell me where I can pick up just a front wheel of this model? I have a 2008 Gary Fisher Marlin which I believe has these as the stock wheel. I was involved in an accident yesterday and the front wheel is mangled. Also assuming it comes with the shimano hub? Additionally, anyone have an idea on price? Or if people think this wheel is crap, I'm open to suggestions for different models. Thanks.