mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New question here. EX9 Water bottle?

Anyone know of a good water bottle and cage to hold it on a 15" EX9 frame? This website details the mount I'm referring to.
    http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w...urrent=EX9.jpg
    Ya I know it's kinda odd question...I've been asking everyone thinking I may get lucky. No the normal ones/ side load cages do not fit. At least the ones I have found so far. Also e-mailed Trek with no reply yet.

Long time lurker coming out of my shell... Just purchased a Trek EX9 after years on a GT Avalanche and looking forward on getting on more trails then my local ones I tend to stick with over the years with the new ride.

You got any chocolate?
    I am in the same boat as you. Nothing fits, but to be quite honest, I actually prefer my camelbak to water bottles so for me it was no big deal. I find that water bottles just get dirty from the dust whereas I have a cover over my mouthpiece on the c-bak which easily flips open and allows me to bite the valve and sip with no mouthful of dust in the first gulp.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had a similar problem on my EX6. I'm using a Profile Designs "Stryke" composite cage and it seems to work ok.

http://www.profile-design.com/2006_p...on/stryke.html
    '06 Trek Fuel EX6
    Technical Skills Meter: 0

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thank you for the reply and idea LO-TrEK. I can't seem to find the "Stryke" composite cage model though in less the link you posted is the one your refering to that seems to be called the Stryke Kage and dosen't seem to be any differnt then the ones I tried all ready from the way it looks.
    http://www.profile-design.com/2006_p...on/stryke.html
    Maybe I'm wrong though. Please reply.

Also if you tell me any details on the bottle you found that works.

I just got a call back from a Trek Superviser after a Trek rep told me yesterday I will not find a cage/bottle that will fit on a 15.5 frame and Trek has known that for years on thier 15.5 full suspension frames but still puts the mounts on the frames anyways. I of course insisted this could not be true and wanted a superviser to verifiy it and possibly start working on a return of this bike Trek knows has propblems and has not fixed. The superviser is looking in to what may work and will get back to me asap....but all ready asked me if Trek can not find one that works what can Trek do to make me happy.....

mtbr member
    That stryke lookds like it should fit.

You should be able to get "shorty" water bottles to fit in between the bars.

I have a med EX8 and a "shorty" bottle just squeaks in. Maybe the small is just small enough though that it wouldn't fit.

I use a camalbak mostly, but I like to have some gatorade in the bottle so that it doesn't make the camalbak bladder taste bad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Another Option

I know Trek/Bontrager used to have a bottle mount for the seat tube. It consisted of two clamps that you attached the bottle cage to. Just make sure you get a good cage so it doesn't become a water bottle launcher on the rough stuff. I will now include a shameless plug for the Trek Stainless Steel Angel cage. I have never lost a bottle out of that cage (hardtail, full sus., or road bike).

That might be an option for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok I give up after searching the www and not finding it for the (Trek Stainless Steel Angel water bottle cage) Please post details (model #,websites,pictures)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Angel Cage

Here is the link. I found it under www.trekbikes.com. Then click on accessories, waterbottles and cages, and it is on the second page. Or it is on the Trekbikes.com online store.

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?...&bShopOnline=0

Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the bottle clamps for the seat tube, but I know my LBS has them.

You got any chocolate?
    See if this site may work for you:

http://www.twofish.biz/bike.html

Good luck!!
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Talked to Trek today. Was kinda given bad news that they didn't find any thing Trek knew for sure will fit. LOL even tried to convince me Trek put the mount/ holes on the frame for stress relief in the frames structure on the 15.5 frames. After I pressed the issue that I it can't be true that Trek put the mounts for stress relief on the bike and Trek must have thought of some certain type of cage and bottle that works. I Also mentioned the replies I had like this post on some found things that work. Trek then admitted they still have not done much home work for me on finding out what may work and still waiting for a reply from the frames designers and other then asking around the office in customer service if anyone knew of some that works and LOL one girl in the office that has the same bike/size frame what she uses sadly admitting the rep didn't even get details on what she found works and will get back to me when they get a reply. Left me with the impression Trek is feeling me out on leaving it up to me to find what works or if I want to return the bike with the Trek reps admitting they may not be able to tell me what will work and leave it at that. Please post any more details on what works (pictures say a thousand words) or websites/model/maker detailing

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Like I said Joe, the Stryke Kage works on my '06 15.5" EX6. Maybe the EX9 is different? It's a tight fit, but works with a small Polar Bottle. There's a little bit of material that can be relieved on the cage with a Dremel to drop the cage down another maybe 1/4" or so. The bottle almost hits the frame right now, but it isn't very difficult to get in and out while riding. I only use the bottle for Cytomax and use a 100 oz Camelbak for H2O, so I'm not really concerned about the small bottle.

'06 Trek Fuel EX6
    Technical Skills Meter: 0

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thank you LO-TrEK, Looks like the same as the EX9.