BKB
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

EX9 ticking sound

I think this noise has been discussed before, so hopefully somme of you have found a fix for it.
    When I use the rear brake I hear ticking or popping type sound and when I peddle out after braking I hear the same ticking sound on the 1st peddle stroke and it then goes away. This happens every time I use the rear brake.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone? LBS can't seem to find the problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yes i have the same problem , what the HELL is it ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    on mine it was the brake pads shifting in the caliper. not a big deal. but check all of the pivot bolts periodically mine have come loose on occasion

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Creaking/ticking sounds from the suspension as you transition between two different types of forces acting on the suspension seem normal to me.

Fix? lube all of the suspension joints? The sounds will likely come back sooner or later.

Or it could be something with your bottom bracket. That'd be worth a check.

BKB
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The brake pads could be the problem your the 2nd person to mention this. The pivots & joints were taken apart, lubed & re torqued. The bottom bracket could make the noise but it always starts when I put the rear brake on. Even when standing on the ground and rocking the bike with the brake on it makes this noise & I can't tell where it comes from since it rezonates through all the pivots??????

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My brand new EX9 frame without anything mounted to it makes this creaking noise aswell. It is currently built up and still makes the noise and it sure as hell is not the brakes

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Check the bearing point where the seatstay attaches to the rocker link, there should be a small gap. I've seen a few of the new EX bikes with rocker links that rub on the seatstay, resulting in a creaking noise. Your local Trek dealer can fix the problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0