mtbr member
    Apr 2006

EX ride quality?

I'm looking into the EX7 as my next bike. I'd like to know what the bike rides like. Is it supple? Does it hook up well? Climbing and descending? Is long distance comfortable? I'm looking into it cause its got great brakes and suspension compared to others in the price range. Is there anything else worth looking into thats comparable? Reason for this question is the nearest shop that stocks it (or any other real bike) is 2.5 hours away. Thanks for your replies. Every little bit of info helps seal the deal.

Last edited by twistedlizard720; 04-24-2006 at 01:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sorry, i can't help. my ex is still on order.

but i can say that i have been very happy riding my 2001 fuel (3" of bushing based travel) since new. the geometry works well for me, the bike climbs way better than i do, descending is comfortable. i wouldn't call the suspension "supple", especially while braking, but it is a nice bike for long rides on twisty single track if that is to your liking. good warranty to back it up too.

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    I'm with Phil. I don't have an EX, but my next bike will be one, though. I own the bottom-of-the-line Fuel 70. However, I am very pleased with the geometry of the bike, which is similar to the EX models. The Fuel is a remarkably stable and very forgiving platform. You can point it at some god awful lines and it just rolls right over them. I can drift the rear wheel a lot farther than I thought possible and still get the rear end to snap back in line. If I drifted the rear wheel that far out on the hardtail, I'd be eating dirt

I imagine the EX would be a bit more responsive due to its better components and lighter weight. I'll probably go one or two more seasons on the 70 and then upgrade to an EX.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004

Good job!

I can't make too many comments as it's my partner that rides a FuelEX9 WSD, bought last summer, but I can tell you that she thinks it's fab. She came from a single pivot (and soggy) Marin and loves the efficiency of the FuelEX, yet it's still comfortable for her. She's not into anything too rough tho
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    I have an '06 EX 8 and I like it. It climbs very well. It's a very decent bike for the price. I've only upgraded/swapped a few bits...which were mostly due to personal preference. Ride quality and climbing ability are great though. Of course...the ride quality really depends on your ability (luck?) in getting the bike setup for your weight and riding style.

- Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I moved from an old-style Marin Rift Zone to an EX7 and much prefer the EX7. Although they are both single pivots (i.e. one pivot between the crank and the wheel), I've found the EX7 much more supple. I think this is mainly due to the shocks. The front (Reba) is brilliant (but read the posts in the shocks section about setting it up) and the rear is very well controlled, so much so that I rarely use the lock out on climbs and get next to no unwelcome suspension movement.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i've got about 500 miles on my ex7 and love it. no issues with climbing and takes downhills really well. i pretty much have the shocks set as recco'd...i'm 5'10" 210 lbs. HTH

jake

mtbr member
    I am 150 lbs and 5'10, currently riding my first Mountain Bike (Trek 4300). I will move up eventually and I'm looking at an EX6 or an EX7. I want a bike that will hold up for a long time, be light and aggressive, and not cost $3,000. I am partial to Treks already due to my 4300 being so good for the price so far.
    Do you guys (who have more experiance) think I'm looking in the right direction? I dont want to do any jumping, or real drops, just trail riding, but I want to be able to ride the hell out of pretty much any trail without breaking my bike. (Im not talking about downhill courses or anything). Maybe eventually I'll ride with my freinds in a 24 hour or something too, just for fun. So I'm open to opinions as I look, I've got a while to save up anyway... Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    My 05 ex8 with about 900 + miles on it. Had it for almost a year and mainly used on single track. I would have bought an EX9 if my lbs had one in stock but this was the next best thing and i could not be happier. Bike weighs about 27.5 lbs + or - a few ounces with carbon bars, seatpost, CK headset, and eggbeaters 3ti upgrades that i have done.
    As soon as i wear out the nubs on my tires, which is almost complete, i may try out tubless tires... still thinking about that...
    The bike rides really plush. I think you will be happy with the fuel ex line.
    Last edited by johnnychimpo; 05-12-2006 at 06:15 PM.