mtbr member
    Nov 2004

ex 8 and ex 9 owners please help!

I have test ridden two separate ex 9s and liked them quite a bit. BUT found them botj to be fairly unstable. The front wheel seemed to wander even when riding straight ahead on smooth surfaces. The Talus was set at 130mm and both bikes had handlebars that had been cut approximately 1 inch on each side. Have you guys had this experience and/or con you offer any advice or ideas? I'm seriously considering buying an ex 9 or 8 but quite concerned about this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Probably Depends on What You are used to

..I am guessing that these bikes may have a steeper tube than you have ridden in the past and is a bit more responsive. I am not really sure what you mean by wanders and I am no means an expert on bikes. It may help others to assist you if you give a little background regarding your skill level, type of riding you do and previous bikes owned.

I test rode the EX9 and own and EX8 and did notice they were both a bit more quick to turn than my previous bike (Giant Yukon). End of the day I bought the EX8 and have enjoyed it on a lot of varied terrain including single track, hills, rock garden, fairly technical downhill, etc. I do notice a huge positive difference in my ability to climb hills and really enjoy the rear suspension on some decent 2-3 ft drops. Seems like most people who own them like them (same as just about every other bike on this site). I have pretty good faith that Trek did a bit of research on the design of the bike and what you are feeling is intended.

Will be curious to see other responses.

Good Luck

Dave

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm also curious to better understand the problem of unstable behavior. I ride an EX8, and it's perfectly stable.

mtbr member
    my ex8 is also very stable.

You got any chocolate?
    I have a 2006 EX 9 and am extremely happy with this bike. As for being stable, no problems whatsoever. Bike does not wander and wherever you point it, she goes. Climbing, descending, just an all-around great cross country bike. Very, very race capable.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Great Questions

Thanks for the input and good questions. I have been mountain biking for years and would consider myself above intermediate and below expert in terms of technical skills. I do not ride serious drops etc. Mostly cross country with roots, rock gardens and small drops. This will be my first f/s. I'm currently on a fisher hardtail with 80mm stem, BUT I have demoed a Stumpy FSR, Trance and Fisher Hi-Fi. Did not notice any of the instability on those bikes. Again, any additional input would be welcome. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Mistake in previous post

I meant 80 mm fork.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Instability?

Sounds like you are a more accomplished rider than I am. I am still curious as to what you are calling instability. Do you notice this uphill, downhill, on rocky terrain, etc. Just curious to know. I suppose if you have ridden other FS and they feel better to you, then you should buy one of them.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    More information would be useful. Problem could be anything really, headset, tire not sitting well on the rim, lack of pressure in the fork, who knows, typical problems with a (new) or demo bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have had an EX9 now for about 2 months. I think I know what you are talking about in regards to this unstable feeling although I would not quite describe it as such. I think its that the bike might have a more responsive feel to it than your other bikes. I found this feeling to be more pronounced when the fork is set at 130 mm and less so at 110 mm and 90 mm. (I'm comparing this feeling to my 03 Fisher Sugar). Now in comparing the EX9 to other bikes I found the FSR to fell less "stable" (parking lot riding) and the Fisher HiFi to perhaps feel a bit more stable than the EX9. Now saying this, I really like how the EX9 handles (most of by riding is tight twisty forested trails) as well as the overall feel of the bike. I love the Talas fork on it as you can crank up the fork to 130 mm for the downhills and then crank it down for climbing - all while in the saddle. I use this feature a lot. I would buy this bike again without a doubt.

kgraham11

That's a handlebar issue...

I believe you are feeling the effects of the handlebars being trimmed. I did that to my last bike to help with tree clearance on some tight trails. But, it also made the bike turn quicker... It wasn't bad, just had to get used to it. Next time you're tooling around the neighborhood, put your hands right next to the stem and try steering, you'll feel the 'worst case' effects of the 'shorter' handlebar... If you buy either of those bikes, I'd replace the handlebar if you don't like the quicker steering. The 07 EX8 was spec'd with a 650mm handlebar. Check and see if the installed bar is shorter than that. If so, that's probably the problem.