Thread: Duster wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Duster wheels

I have a 2012 Trek EX8 that came with Duster tubeless ready wheels. I'm thinking about going tubeless and wonder if I need to removed the blue rims strip from the wheel and replace it with the Stan's rim tape (yellow)?

I have Stan's rim strip (black rubber with valve) and sealent. I'm going to attempt to mount the XR4 EXP but they are not tubeless ready tires.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes, remove the factory rim strip. Watch stans no tubes yellow tape install video on youtube to prep the rim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just go get the Bontrager rim strips. They are much better than using Stan's Yellow Tape as you get a stronger bead set with them. Trust me I tried the cheap way out with Stan's Yellow Tape the strips are worth the money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The Bonty rim strips should have been installed by the shop before you bought the bike or handed to you when you picked it up. Your LBS would most likely give you a pair of them or cut you a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    This place is like high school, except the morons here don't get automatically put in stupid kid classes...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have several of the Rhythms with the Bontrager strips. Actually had better luck with the stans kit. Have them on Easton XC ones and Ringle SUVs. Bontrager strips worked but took longer to get the seal

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssiegrist View Post
    The Bonty rim strips should have been installed by the shop before you bought the bike or handed to you when you picked it up. Your LBS would most likely give you a pair of them or cut you a deal.
    TLR strips don't come with the bikes. But they should only be $10 or so a piece.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Before I replaced the Dusters on my '11 Fuel EX 8 I used Stan's Flow kit to go tubeless. I left the blue factory rim tape on and used Stan's rim strips. I added 2 scoops of sealant to each tire (WTB Velociraptors) and aired them up with a compressor. The tires beaded right up. No leaking or any other issues.