Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DRCV problems

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

DRCV problems

I just got my 2011 Fuel EX 9 and notice it has lost a lot of air in the DRCV shock. I took it in to the shop and they think there is an air or oil leak. Is anyone else having this problem with the DRCV shock or did i just get a bad shock?

mtbr member
    You didn't do a milt k and forget that after the gauge shows pressure, you tighten the pump about another turn to read the pressure in the second chamber, did you? Thats how it works on my Remedy anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by milt k View Post
    You didn't do a milt k and forget that after the gauge shows pressure, you tighten the pump about another turn to read the pressure in the second chamber, did you? Thats how it works on my Remedy anyway.
    Tighten the pump another turn That's not going to do a thing. Goto Tek's website or look into the DRCV shock - I belive you need to cycle the shock to fill the secondary chamber.

mtbr member
    well, I was referring to this :

4.Thread the FOX Racing Shox High Pressure Pump hose onto the air valve until the pump indicates a pressure reading on the gauge. Turn an additional 1ľ turns, however do not over-tighten. As you thread the additional 1ľ turns, you'll notice a second increase in pressure on the gauge. This effect is caused by air pressure equalizing between the main and secondary air chambers.

from: http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...rod/index.html

If you forget about the second pressure increase it might give the illusion that you lost air pressure. It surprised me when I forgot about it! That is what I was getting at anyway.

And been riding six months, no problems with the shock!
    Last edited by milt k; 06-10-2011 at 03:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have 150 miles on my shock no problems!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Like the others said make sure you cycle your shock past half way a couple times when changing the air pressure. Their basically two air chambers and you have to cycle it past half way so the upper chamber opens and allows the pressure to regulate.

If it still gives you problems strip it and put some new seals in it. The seal kits are like 10 or 15 bucks and it's not hard to do. http://www.pinkbike.com/video/167955/

One thing about the DRCV shocks you should know is that the "universal rebuild kit" from fox has one O-ring that isn't the right size for the DRCV. The upper most o-ring is slightly slimmer with a bigger diameter so don't throw it out unless you can get your hands on another one. If you try to use the one in the rebuild kit it will pinch when you screw the sleeve back in and if you didn't have a leak before you will now. I found this out the hard way the first time I did maintenance on it and it took awhile to get my hands on a new DRCV specific o-ring. GL with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well when the shock originally came in there was oil all over the shock. The shop told me to fill it up to the recommended pressure, ride it and if there is a significant loss of air than bring it in. I rode it for about 4 miles, 24 hours lates i lost 80psi in the shock. I took it back into the shop and they are sending it back to Fox. IT sucks cause all I want to do is ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I seem to be having the same problem. Picked up my new Remedy 8 from the shop on Friday. I'm finding oil leaking from around the air valve and it won't hold air. Sux.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker549 View Post
    I seem to be having the same problem. Picked up my new Remedy 8 from the shop on Friday. I'm finding oil leaking from around the air valve and it won't hold air. Sux.
    If you just got the bike my advice would be to definitely bring it back to the shop and let them sort it out for you...whether it be a new air can, rebuild, or whatever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumlan View Post
    If you just got the bike my advice would be to definitely bring it back to the shop and let them sort it out for you...whether it be a new air can, rebuild, or whatever.
    My shop sent it back to Fox. I should get it back sometime this week. Ill let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ended up shipping the shock directly to Fox. First ride on it was Saturday and am happy to say issue was resovled. The bike was down for a week, but glad Fox resolved fairly quickly for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ended up shipping the shock directly to Fox. First ride on it was Saturday and am happy to say issue was resovled. The bike was down for a week, but glad Fox resolved fairly quickly for me.
    Same here. My shock seems fine now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

DRCV woes

Well i just bought my first full susser and im gutted to say that the DRCV shock on my ex8 is leaking after the first ride. I went out on a light x country trail and it dropped 80psi and blew a lot of oil out from near the valve. I put it back into the shop and they said they'll send it to fox for repair or replacement. Im pissed off as i'd have preffered to keep the bike as new as possible however it looks like im already gona have probs with it. Do i have the right to demand a new shock rather than a repaired one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Might want to push for a new one. Had the same problem out of the gate with my Remedy 8, The shock is still leaking air, granted much less than before, after the Fox rebuild. I'm losing about 15 PSI a day. I'll be contacting Fox again soon.

mtbr member
    When you thread a shock pump onto the shock, the reading will be 10 to 20 psi lower than the original pressure because of the air escaping the shock and filling the air hose of the shock pump. To test if this is the issue, fill the shock with a certain psi, disconnect the shock and immediately reconnect pump. You should see a 10 to 20 psi decrease.

IMO, a rebuilt shock (by FOX) will be just as good (or better because a FOX shock tech. disassembles your shock and has an opportunity to see other issues if any) as a new shock.

Both chambers do fill if you thread the shock pump on far enough. You need to cycle the shock past 40% before you set sag.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, been thru all that. It goes from 210 to @ 150 over 5 days or so, untouched. Thinking when I remove it from the frame, I'll stick underwater to see if/where it's leaking just to confirm I'm not nuts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah thats a good point regarding when you unscrew the pump and loss of around 10-15psi but ive factored that in. Also im really not sure if both chambers will fill regardless on how tight you screw it on. I know i dont have to tell you... but the idea of the drcv shock is that it has 2 seperate chambers one of which only ever opens when the shock is (as youve said) 40 to 50 percent of its travel. ALSO....that is a really good point regarding the fox technician bloke as i'd imagine theyre built on assembly lines (by normal people) by machines. Anyhoo, thank you very much for your insight. The shock got sent off today so we'll see what develops over the next week (7 working days ive been told). Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mtnbiker549- I wouldnt have the guts to remove it from the frame...wouldnt know how and another question regarding water... wouldnt it fill up? Do you grease it at all? The shop told me to do nothing to it (front and rear) and only get them serviced once a year. Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sending the shock back to Fox for the 2nd time. I did submerge it underwater and noticed a slow leak coming from the uppermost seam above the Pro Pedal lever. At least that validates that I'm not crazy.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't it be nice if dealers could in some way check the bike out for issues like this before selling them?

mtbr member

Fox replaced my shock

I had trouble with my DRCV shock on my 2011 Rumblefish. It got sent to Fox and they "repaired" it. It flattened on the first ride back. Fox replaced the shock and I haven't had a problem since.
    fesch
    Riding in snow is for the desperate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sending the shock back to Fox for the 2nd time. I did submerge it underwater and noticed a slow leak coming from the uppermost seam above the Pro Pedal lever. At least that validates that I'm not crazy.
    Got my shock back from Fox and it seems to be holding air now. Notes from the Tech that came back in the box indicate they replaced the "Top Hat" o-ring with a new "out of spec" one. Hope that soloved it.

mtbr member
    I too am having the same issues. Shock leaks down front 160psi to about 80psi overnight with oil also leaking.

Iím not sure that all of this is related but I just want to give as much info as possible. I just got a 2012 Remedy 9.8. I picked up in the evening so was just able to set it up and ride around the yard and the neighborhood. The pressure settings to adjust sag from the Trek website and the one from Fox all said that for my weight (180lb) with gear I should set it up 90 psi up front and 190 psi rear. That was way harsh and I am down to 60 front and 160 rear. At those settings it works reasonable well on cross country (although it does seem a little harsh on the small bumps like hitting a root or rock) trails with some 1-2 foot drops on fast descents but bottoms out on 3-4 foot drops at the terrain park. Jacking it back up to 170psi kept it from bottom out but was too harsh on everything else.

My question is will fixing the air and oil leak issues allow me to dial in some plush plush-ness for the cross country trails that I ride to get to the jumps and still handle the bigger stuff? Iíve searched this forum for all DRCV threads and the general consensus is that thatís just the nature of the shock this one for example... drcv worth the trouble? @mtnbkaz reply #6 says it best if I understand it correctly.

I'm going to ride today because the weather is good and take it back to the LBS tonight. Just thought I would post anyway because there is so much info on in these forums.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mark

mtbr member
    The more and more I think about this the more I feel like holding off on buying a Trek with DRCV is a smarter idea.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people with it that are happy and their DRCV shocks aren't failing but if I roll the dice and wind up with one that does do that, my LBS is going to sit on their ass over it.

(my LBS sucks when it comes to supporting mtn bikes)

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=mountain;8794092]The more and more I think about this the more I feel like holding off on buying a Trek with DRCV is a smarter idea.

I kind of agree. The reviews of the DRCV fork and shock on the '12 Remedy seemed to be a little more positive than negative. Now, after researching my problems it seems like there are a lot of people with the same issues.

The bike I am replacing was a '04 Stumpjumper. I had had Push do the rear shock a number of years ago and at the begging of this summer I had replaced the fork with a 120mm Fox F32 RLC with the Kashima coating and that was a great fork.Even though it was just a 4" travel bike I never bottomed that out and it had just the right amount of plushness.

-m

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast