Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    except change 29er's
    Oct 2005

Down tube protection????

Does anybody know if trek is going to sell the down tube armor that straps on the down tube that was shown on there top fuel and session 88. I would like to get my hands on one. It looks like it would work great for carbon protection. thanks to anyone with real info..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    according to my LBS, when I called last week, Trek is now offering it.

Trek EX8 Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by rhale
    according to my LBS, when I called last week, Trek is now offering it.
    I too am very interested in acquiring this armor for my aluminum Fuel EX. Any part numbers?

mtbr member
    A part number would be great!

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    thanks for the reply....will call the lbs and see whats up....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Did anyone end up buying one of these? If so, how much did it run you? I'd like to put one on my Scratch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by doeman
    Did anyone end up buying one of these? If so, how much did it run you? I'd like to put one on my Scratch.
    they are available, and cost about 30-35 bucks. donno if they're available for fuels or remedys, but the scratch an session are the same

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    they are available, and cost about 30-35 bucks. donno if they're available for fuels or remedys, but the scratch an session are the same
    From Trek?Part Number?I NEED one of them. Thnx

mtbr member
    To Trek.....
    On your 9.7 9.8 and 9.9 models there is a carbon armor guard on the down tube near the crank. I get alot of debris that fly up and hit my bike on the down tube. I am very interested in this part. My ? is I am riding a fuel ex 9 09, will this part work for my bike? If so what is the part number so i can order it from my local LBS? Thanks in advanced!

From Trek......
    Hello,

Thanks for writing in. The part number 299864 is the carbon guard for the carbon Fuel Ex bikes. There are a very limited quantity of these parts left. The part was designed for the carbon bikes and would not perfectly fit the Fuel Ex Aluminum bikes. It may require some trimming and is applied via a pressure-sensitive adhesive. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Take care.

Andrew Pajak | Trek Bicycle Corporation | Technical Service Representative | andrew_pajak@trekbikes.com
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I have been quoted $16 + shipping from my LBS

mtbr member
    Sorry I was told no shipping! :-)

mtbr member
    You gonna order one? Curious to know how it turns out...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just ordered one for my Scratch for 39.99 from the LBS. I had them check in on one for my wife's Fuel EX but being that it was made for the carbon model, and is applied with an adhesive, (not zip ties), I didn't order it.

mtbr member
    Yea i ordered one. Said they don't place the order till Thursday because of the holiday weekend. So I should be getting it sometime late next week hopefully. I will post pix once I put it on!

mtbr member
    1/16" Diamond plate 2"x12". I bent it myself with a vice and mallet. A rag helps so it doesn't initally scratch. I found some heavy duty Velcro at Lowes which acts as padding too. It's super sticky tape on one side and coarse hook-and-loop. It wont vibrate off, fall off, or be effected if it's wet either. It keeps the DP about 3/8" from the DT itself.

There's a radius on the down tube. The Velcro will wrap around it fine. The DP won't though. When you push the DP on, rock it back and forth some so all of the hooks grab as many loops as possible. I put the hooks on the DT since the mud shoots up. It will wash off easier than getting into the fabric of the loop. It's easily removable and the tape side doesn't pull off. It's VERY strong. A heads up- The radius on the down tube will allow the DP to "rock" side to side a little bit only when pressure is applied. This actually helps with deflection. The Velcro is strong enough so it doesn't dangle.

Notice the coarse Velcro.

mtbr member
    Shop called! Carbon armor is in. Going to grab it after work. I will post pix once it is on.

mtbr member
    Ok so I got the guard and put it on the bike. It is really just a piece of rubber with adhesive on it. If you look in the first picture there are two rubber nipples on the bottom side of the guard. I had to cut one of them off so that the other fits into one of the holes on the down tube and it lines up ok. It cost just under $16 from my LBS.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I have a layer of real cf on the dt of my '09 R9 and a loose rock popped up and made a pretty big dent in the dt, right through the cf. I am pretty sure it won't be a problem as the cf stopped it from puncturing the frame but damn... you NEED dt protection on any of todays light frames.Larry's idea is heavy but I think I'll do something similar nect time. Luckily I have a custom heavy duty cf dt protector for my Session 88...no thanks to Trek, who should've had a solution back in '09.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    @DansDaMan561 - hey, that looks pretty nice - does it line up / fit good? Do you think the edges of the rubber would start to peel off?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic64 View Post
    @DansDaMan561 - hey, that looks pretty nice - does it line up / fit good? Do you think the edges of the rubber would start to peel off?
    Chronic, Yea it fit ok. I had to cut one of the tabs off of the bottom and the other went into one of the cage holes. You are correct tho. The edges kind of wrapped around the bottom tube and it eventually started to un-peal from the down tube on the sides. It got debris build up throughout rides and now it won't adhere. Tho it is stuck on the flat part very very well and will not come off any time soon. I don't really mind the little debris that is on the guard. My bike is never clean anyways so it blends right in. I would say for the $16 it is a good investment than a chipped, dented, or even cracked down tube!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Lizard Skin has a thick clear tape type of coating
    that is cheap and works really good. Check them out.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Dave, The weight isn't too bad. Altogether it weighs 62g's. Though I'm sure the CF is lighter, it works out really good. I've heard some big rocks kick up, but don't have any damage yet. I think that the space between the guard and frame is helpful. Since the DT has a radius and the guard doesn't, it allows the guard to float/rock side to side which deflects the rocks. The Velcro holds up in the wettest and muddiest conditions too. ttyl, Fahn

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    Dave, The weight isn't too bad. Altogether it weighs 62g's. Though I'm sure the CF is lighter, it works out really good. I've heard some big rocks kick up, but don't have any damage yet. I think that the space between the guard and frame is helpful. Since the DT has a radius and the guard doesn't, it allows the guard to float/rock side to side which deflects the rocks. The Velcro holds up in the wettest and muddiest conditions too. ttyl, Fahn
    Looks good!

I wish I had done something similar... I rode my Remedy for 2 years and had lots of rocks ping off the downtube with no harm done until a couple weeks ago... big rock came up made a big dent. Oh well, I plan on breaking the frame and getting a warranty replacement eventually anyway.

mtbr member

What about these Carbon Guards?

I saw them on ebay when looking for 'Carbon Armor' as found on Trek Carbon bikes..

I have a Remedy 7 and am considering one of these if my LBS can't sort me out with a original from a Remedy 9..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Down tube protection????-screen-shot-2011-06-29-23.35.24.jpg  

Trek EX8 Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by dansmac View Post
    I saw them on ebay when looking for 'Carbon Armor' as found on Trek Carbon bikes..

I have a Remedy 7 and am considering one of these if my LBS can't sort me out with a original from a Remedy 9..
    I have bought from this seller. Got a carbon guard for my ex8. I had it in one week, not bad from UK to US. $59.00 delivered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast