I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006

Disc brake adapter for Trek 3900 Hardtail?

Hey guys. I'm converting my 2006 Trek 3900 to disc brakes, Avid Mechanicles, but today when a friend was installing the rear one for me, it turned out we needed some sort of adaptar that bolts on the side of the tail.

I'm not sure what the name of it is and there is only one bicycle shop in town that carries Trek parts and they didn't have it and they'll probably take a very long time to order it.

Can somebody please help me find this part and link me to where I can buy it online?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    Anything cheaper than that? 50 dollars sounds WAY too steep.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the part is really about $25 dollars. any trek/klein/fisher dealer in the area would probably have some. if there aren't that many dealers in your area, try widening your search out for other dealers around and give them a call. someone might be willing to mail the part to you.

GL,
    -don

Turner Homer
    I was able to get one for $20 from my lbs about 3 years back. I think the ebay guy is fos, becasue the trek dealer had one in stock.
    Dave

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    Well the one Trek dealer in my area has 4 of them coming in this Friday so I'll be able to pick one up there. Thanks for the help though guys.

monkey's throw poo
    Jun 2004

this will work....

Part number 210648 for the mount available through your local trek dealer (in stock)
    1- M5 x .8 x 10mm
    2- M6 x 1 x 16mm be sure these are both hardened steel
    These bolts can be found at a hardware store.
    Part number 87855 for the complete kit (out of stock)
    two six is bet-ta

Ya, right.
    Here's a previous thread on the same subject. Includes a pic so you can get an idea of what it looks like. They are a popular item, so you may want to make sure you're at the store right when they open to make sure you get one.

disc brakes for my sugar?
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    It's cool, the guys over at the shop will hold one for me I'm sure. thanks for the advice though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Had to buy the adapter sans bolts myself.
    Have to get the bolts as well as some other parts so I can do my install.

Thanks for the actual bolt sizes, previous threads have usually omitted the grip length or indicated one bolt size. For some reason I missed the fact that the insert in the frame between the larger attachment bolts was picked up by a fastener as well.

Are any washers required or do the bolts install against the frame paint.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey, I know this thread is old, but I ran across it on the web looking for the same thing. I found a shop in Georgia that sells the full kit online (with hardware) for $26. You can also get just the adapter for $16. I called them and they said they had just the adapter in stock, and not the bolts, but they could easily get the bolts quickly.

http://cycleworksinc.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3964

w00tmaster
    Not to bump old threads, but this product with the bolts worked for my trek 3900 to convert to disc breaks. Thanks eastsidejason.