mtbr member
    Mar 2005

A different Fork on a 2000 GF Big Sur

I am wanting to put a rigid or inexpensive suspension fork on a 2000 GF Big Sur. I still have the original Manitou Sx that came with the bike, but it is far past a change. My intentions are too set this bike up for commuting on an extremely tight budget. What options do I have?
    I have a name for my pain and call it "dog".

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Big Sur Fork

The Manitou SX front fork that you have is a standard pattern and shouldn't be hard to replace. It will be 1 1/8" in diameter steer tube, it will be unthreaded and it the steer tube will be about 8" long. These features/dimensions have become an industry standard so if you check ebay or pricepoint or any of the other internet stores, just make sure that the replacement fork has these things. Ebay will be your best bet for cheapness if you have a little bit of patience. When you take off your Manitou for, there is a little pressed bushing that you'll have to pop off so (and put onto your new fork) in order for the bearings to run smoothly in your headset.

BTW - confirm with me that the bike you have is the 2000 Big Sur: it should be mostly blue with red lettering. I have the same bike and the frame is lithe sweetness on the trails so I am a little surprised you are only going to commute it.

Cheers.
    For ways in which technology has improved your life, press 4 now

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherfan
    The Manitou SX front fork that you have is a standard pattern and shouldn't be hard to replace. It will be 1 1/8" in diameter steer tube, it will be unthreaded and it the steer tube will be about 8" long. These features/dimensions have become an industry standard so if you check ebay or pricepoint or any of the other internet stores, just make sure that the replacement fork has these things. Ebay will be your best bet for cheapness if you have a little bit of patience. When you take off your Manitou for, there is a little pressed bushing that you'll have to pop off so (and put onto your new fork) in order for the bearings to run smoothly in your headset.

BTW - confirm with me that the bike you have is the 2000 Big Sur: it should be mostly blue with red lettering. I have the same bike and the frame is lithe sweetness on the trails so I am a little surprised you are only going to commute it.

Cheers.

Same bike here. Was my only ride for about 5 years until I got a FS bike a couple months ago. Now it is pretty much collecting dust, till I turn it into a SS Great bike though, never had any complaints about it.

By the way, that Manitou SX came off after about 4 months. Replaced with this Marz Atom Race, never looked back. Awesome fork
    Attached Images Attached Images