mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Deciding between Fuel 70/80/EX 6/ EX 7?

Trying to purchase the best bike for the money without over doing it. I live and ride when time allows in the mountains of SW VA, gravel roads and trails. Upgrading over time is not a problem but I cannot decide if hyd. brakes are something I need initially in this price range.

The bottom line is I'm looking for suggestions for the best FS Trek for the money up to the EX 7.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

boiled down...

I think this is your dilemna summed up...

1) go cheap now, and then if you really start biking a lot, upgrade to a new bike in 1-2 years.
    2) buy a better bike than you think you need now, and upgrade components as you go.

I'm a big fan of going cheap and upgrading later, especially with mountain bikes. Here are a couple reasons why..

1) maybe you won't ride as much as you think
    2) if you ride more than you think, then you deserve a better overall bike anyways
    3) upgrading is expensive. everything comes cheaper on a packaged bike. nice hydro brakes alone will cost you 300-400. That's the price diff between the EX6 and EX7, and you get upgraded parts, wheels, etc.. with the EX7.
    4) mountain bikes get thrashed. parts break all the time. worse than road. It's possible to upgrade at this point.
    5) mtn bike technology is changing fast. it's slowed down in recent years, but I doubt anyone is riding a FS that's more than 5 years old right now. so when you buy a better bike in 2 years, technology will have improved and high end stuff will have filtered down to the lower end stuff.

This is just an off the cuff recommendation, since you really didn't give a lot of detail about your riding style, I'd probably get an EX6 and some nice accessories. 4 inches is standard XC travel these days. and the frames on most of the EX's are the same - meaning you can upgrade it if you wanna.

I'm kinda guessing that if you really get into it, you'll leapfrog the EX7 and grab something in the 3k range later on.

GL,
    -don

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    bah, that IS a hard choice. I like the Reba fork on the 7, but I will say that at least the 6 has a Tora, and at least the 6 has x-7. The 6 isn't a bad bike, it just depends upon how nice you want to be to yourself. Also, put it in perspective that the 7 isn't a whoppingly expensive FS bike.

I would steer clear from the lower end fuels, if for any reason because they use "Alpha Aluminum." EX series has ZR9000 alloy ("borrowed" Klein tubing) and uses fluidform tubes. Superbly built frames from what I've heard. Also, why get a full suspension bike that has cheap suspension?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the replies. You both mention the EX 6 which is the way I have been leaning and Don you mention the cost of a brakes upgrade. That is what really kicked off my confusion in that this site has 1 review for the EX 6 and many for the EX 7. I was guessing that is in main part to the 7 having the hyd. brakes and I didn't know if that brake upgrade was something reasonable I could take care of later if I chose to do so. We live way out and the Trek Shop is maybe 100 miles away so I haven't even been there yet but he has a new '06 EX 6 on the floor for $1300. I thought that was very fair but appreciate any info/ suggestions I can get before buying. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

low reviews.

Well, the reason that there are no reviews for the EX6 is cause it's new for '06. The EX7 was the low end model last year. Take the reviews with a grain of salt. People review them only after like 3-6 months, which really they should be reviewing them 2 years down the line. Also you can take reviews from the same frame group, like the EX7,8,9 since they (for the most part) share the same frame.

The EX7 is a pretty nice bike. it would last you as long as you wanted it to. but yeah, i think basically your choice is between the 6 and 7.

definitely try the bikes out. I think you'll end up liking the hydro disc brake - honestly, I wouldn't ride on mechanicals anymore, but to each his own. a hydro upgrade is definitely doable for the EX6, but like i said before, if you know you you could possibly want hydro brakes in the near future, then just buy the EX7 with the better parts.

GL,
    -don

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    I own a 2005 Fuel 70. It took some getting used to coming from a very stiff hardtail ('98 Klein Pulse Comp). It is definitely a heavy bike, but it is an extremely stable and very forgiving platform, particularly if you're still getting experience in MTB'ing. You can push the bike very hard, ride some god-awful lines, drift the rear wheel out farther than you'd think you can and the bike stays underneath you.

The componentry isn't top of the line stuff, but they do work fairly well together, and you can always upgrade at a later date.

too tired to be clever
    Jan 2005

Same dilemma

I was sure I wanted the EX-6 until I test rode the EX-7, which I bought in February. I think it was about $300 more, and I just liked the way it shifted a lot better. The extra suspension adjustments sounded nice, but once I've determined the set-points I liked, I hardly adjust anything on a ride.

I have only been able to put 115 miles on it due to the rain we've enjoyed here in N. CA, but I really do like the bike. It's quite an upgrade from my 4300 'virtual rigid' I've been riding. I was able to clear some more technical sections, and do a lot more riding and a lot less crashing