Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Death of the Remedy

Bad day today!
    I haven't been riding very much recently (too busy at work), and so as a quick hopeful 10 mile workout ride, my brother and I went up to Swatara State Park. VERY tame trail system, meant more for beginners on rigid bikes in my opinion.

5.5 miles in, my brother is only a few bike lengths in front of me, going though a mild rooty section (seated and pedaling up a slight grade) and we hear a nasty loud crack from my '15 Rem 9.8.

Death of the Remedy-11705787_10206338956005495_4668938434102870813_o.jpg
    Death of the Remedy-11699055_10206337865418231_6361328654119439229_o.jpg

I'm not concerned about warranty on the frame. I have full faith in Trek's warranty procedures, and this in no way taints my view of Trek. I just hope this doesn't take a month of Sundays, since this was such a hard to come by bike to start with!

Perhaps Taiwan is not the proper place to make a carbon frame?
    Last edited by DethWshBkr; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:29 PM.

passed out in your garden
    bad luck....
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Bad day today!

Perhaps Taiwan is not the proper place to make a carbon frame?

Last I was told. The carbon frames are made in the US, the Alum. is made in Taiwan.

You shouldn't have a problem getting a replacement in a timely manner. I know there are a lot of frames out there. I have been looking into buying one to build
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Last I was told. The carbon frames are made in the US, the Alum. is made in Taiwan.
    Incorrect. The 9.8 frame is made in Taiwan. I believe the 9.9 is as well. I took the "Made in Taiwan" sticker off my head tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Incorrect. The 9.8 frame is made in Taiwan. I believe the 9.9 is as well. I took the "Made in Taiwan" sticker off my head tube.

Like I said, Last I was told.
    I just looked it up. Only 4 frames are made out of Wisconsin.
    I guess You gave me another reason I stay alum. even though they are made out of the same place. I have never had a problem with the ones I have had
    Too Many .

Trail Ninja
    As of '13, the Session and higher end Madones (6 series, up to 9 series) are US made. Others are Taiwan made. What were your findings?

That's the "JRA - just riding along" phenomenon. You ride hard in some gnarly stuff, are happy it "holds up" (the dmg is done without you knowing), and then the damage finally shows itself oddly on the easy stuff on a later ride. Had it happen to me a few times.

Edit: looks like the Speed Concept, carbon road forks are made in US too. Project One stuff gets a final step here too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    As of '13, the Session and higher end Madones (6 series, up to 9 series) are US made. Others are Taiwan made. What were your findings?
    I stopped looking after it said only 4. I don't own a carbon bike. MTB wise. ( road bike is though ) Don't feel the need in AZ with 90% rocks.
    I did look up the warranty for Trek, found they limit a few things, which lens me more to Santa Cruz with the Lifetime on everything

Your bad luck actually answered a few questions for me.

I over heard somewhere that the Carbon frames were all made in the US, which after looking it up now was incorrect. but didn't keep going to find out which but most the pics about it lead to road bikes
    Too Many .

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I'm keeping my Waterloo, WI-made 2012 Superfly 100 Pro now....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Trail Ninja
    Interesting. Didn't know Santa Cruz switched over to a lifetime warranty 2 month ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

That's the "JRA - just riding along" phenomenon. You ride hard in some gnarly stuff, are happy it "holds up" (the dmg is done without you knowing), and then the damage finally shows itself oddly on the easy stuff on a later ride. Had it happen to me a few times.

Edit: looks like the Speed Concept, carbon road forks are made in US too. Project One stuff gets a final step here too.

That's when it always happens they easy stuff you would never think .

Sorry this happened.

I dented a Seatstay on my Rumblefish back in 2013. Wasn't warranty ( went over the cars and bike landed on a rock) but wasn't able to get the part replaced in the same color was a easy trail to. done it many times lol
    Too Many .

mtbr member

My Madone 7 is US made. The 6 series I believe I saw was Taiwan . That's one reason I spend the extra cash on the 7.
    I was QUITE surprised when I picked the Remedy up in late March, to see the "Made in Taiwan" sticker on the headtube of a $6000 carbon bike.
    Ah well.

I often am skeptical of "Just Riding Along"s myself, but dang, didn't it just happen! At least I have my Farley to ride in the woods for now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Don't forget the Emonda SLR which is a 700 series carbon is US made too.

mtbr member
    That sucks!!! Hope your LBS takes care of you. Hope you have your receipt

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The process for making carbon bikes doesn't really change whether it was made in Taiwan or the US. My 2012 Superfly 100 is US made and is on the second main triangle and second chainstay. My 2015 Slash 9.8 is Taiwan made and is on the second frame due to some aluminum bolts failing.

Trek will take care of this, I would think. Speed really depends on your relationship with your dealer and their relationship with their warranty rep. It also depends on what's in inventory when you make the call. When my Slash failed, there were no carbon Slash's around and a large order was waiting to be unloaded (backlogged due to the recently ended shipping strike on the West Coast). I was sent an aluminum frame to ride until a carbon one became available... which wound up being a new complete that Trek then completely stripped down before sending it to the dealer about two months later.

Although, I race for my dealer's team, so he made the call within minutes of me walking in the door. He also has a great relationship with his warranty rep and was able to talk him into the temporary frame as a solution so I could continue to race.

As a side note: the geometry of the carbon and aluminum Slash's are slightly different. There's definitely either a longer top tube or a more relaxed seat angle on the carbon bike.

mtbr member
    Apparently I completely befuddled and confused everyone at Trek. They claim to have never seen something like this ever before, and it is a monocoque frame. The shop sent them three sets of pictures over the last week and a half, and they still wanted more pictures, with the possibility of needing to send the frame to them first to have it looked over.

The Trek rep was in today however, took a look at it, and was told I have a new frame already on a truck!

Hopefully I can ride it this weekend.....?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Trek was good about replacing the seat stay I snapped on the Remedy 9.8 shop demo. Sounds like they have you covered here, too, despite the odd situation.

mtbr member
    Got the bike back today.

I was sent a 9.9 frame, but no swingarm or rocker. Normally, I wouln't expect that - but I'm a little iffy on the fact that a 4 month old bike now has a matte grey/yellow (PHENOMENAL COLOR by the way!) frame, and a gloss black/red swingarm and rocker.

The wheels, fork, headset spacers, and other accent parts are also black/red, but I really don't care about that. The swingarm/rocker and frame however, does look a little hokie. I know I got a frame out of the deal - but we're also talking about Trek's second most expensive Remedy. A very high end bike - that now after four months, certainly does not look factory. It's only looks I know, but again - it is a $6000 bike, that is 4 months old!

Hmm....

Death of the Remedy-remedy-2.00.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sucks. They did a similar deal for a shop rider that got a bum Emonda SL frame. His was worse in a way because he found a problem with the front Der mount while building it. Turned out the factory drilled it wrong. They sent him a new frame, but didn't match the color either. Lame since he hadn't even ridden it once.

mtbr member
    Go back to them and say you are not happy with the way it looks. I damaged my chain stay on my slash when i broke a bolt and asked them to ensure i got the same color, which they happily complied with for the replacement. I do have a good relationship with my bike shop but still for such a new bike it should be replaced in the same color.
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 8 -Sold
    2016 Trek Fuel EX9
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEfLAZIWAU-My Trail Dog

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I am liking the contrast, actually. Trek made good on their end....now ride it.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I think that they didn't make you any favour by replacing the cracked frame. They just honored their warranty but in my opinion they did it in a questionable way since know your bike doesn't look as it is supposed to look and also this will reduce its resale value.

b4z
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    That looks like shit, I'd be pissed. I would understand if the frame was a few years old but this is a current year bike.

mtbr member
    Dude that is an awesome bike but I think I'd throw it thru the window of my bike shop if they gave it back to me like that. You just bought the bike 4 months ago for a shit ton of money and they turn around and warranty the frame like that. That's bad business.

mtbr member
    It's not the bike shop's fault at all, for certain. They are just putting together what Trek sent them!

mtbr member
    It's not the bike shop's fault at all, for certain. They are just putting together what Trek sent them!
    You are right, it's not the shop. I just look at what Trek sent for a warranty replacement and it pissed me off and I have 8 Trek bikes in my garage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast