mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Custom 2013 Remedy on the way

All,

Hopefully by next weekend I will have my new bike. Ordered it a few weeks ago, and the LBS has been especially accomodating with some changes I wanted.

Ordered Remedy 9.8, swapped out front cranks and FD for 24/38 XT cranks and 2 speed XT FD. I am eager to experience 2x10 drivetrain.

I weigh 235 lbs in riding gear, and would like to ride aggressively, but lets just say my lack of grace means I can abuse bikes pretty well without doing anything impressive. To that end, the shop is swapping in a Fox 34 Talas 160/120mm front fork.

I am super excited about the bike, but also a little aprehensive my requested changes could have some down sides...

The 34 fork is 17mm longer from crown to axle, so that will slacken the head angle by 0.8 and raise the bottom bracket by 0.24". New head angle will be around 66.2 - will this ruin the handling of the bike? I suppose flipping the mino link will bring angles closer back to stock, but in turn raise bike even higher...

The chainline for the 2x10 front is pulling from a slightly different radius from the crank than the stock 3x10 32 tooth middle ring- is the Remedy rear suspension tolerant enough that this wont result in more bobbing?

As you can see, too much time on my hands waiting on new bike, so my concerns may be a little nitpicky, but I would appreciate any thoughts from other Remedy owners...

Thanks
    Shawn

mtbr member
    Hey Briareos, I have a "stock" 9.8. I dropped the third ring and replaced it with a bash. Heck if I could get a 30t up front I'd go 1x10. The bike would still be plenty fast for what I ride. I've considered the 34 as an upgrade. I don't know if the Talas will but the Float can be shimmed to 150mm, there by not changing any of the angles. Just adding stiffness at the cost of 1/4 pound. I can't see you picking up any bob as the bike is quite firm and you will be able to tune it with the shock. I've been impressed with mine. Former rides included a Heckler and a Yeti 575.
    2012 Trek Remedy 9.8...Yep, the one with the little wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tikiguy,

thanks for the feedback - just got my first ride in on Sunday. This is the best bike I have ever had.

I like the 2x10, I find myself using much more of the available gearing, and the shadow plus RD seems to do fine - I can't recall hearing the chain slap once. You are right on with your recommendation - no noticable bob either.

The fork works very well! Unfortunately, the Talas version cannot be travel adjusted back to 150mm, but it is worth the tradeoff to be able to drop the front travel to 120mm. Climbing is much easier at 120mm, and yet I seem to be using most of the 160mm on my first, fairly moderate, ride.

My only lingering concern was over-leveraging the frame with the longer fork, but the shop assured me that it would not void the frame warranty.

Overall, this bike should really expand my comfort zone compared to what I was used to with my Roscoe. I am glad to be rid of the G2 steering geo. The Remedy is much more stable, even if it doesn't turn as quickly.

Thanks
    Shawn

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm digging the shadow plus. I Don't here any noise but did notice some paint chipping just in front of the drive side chainstay guard. I put a piece of 3m 2228 tape (killer stuff) there just to protect it better. I had a Talas on my last two bikes but I'm not missing it any on the Remedy. I am only running 20mm under my stem though to help weight the front end on climbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just got my Remedy 9.9 and with very little changing got it down to 25 pounds. I love this bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surfstar1 View Post
    I just got my Remedy 9.9 and with very little changing got it down to 25 pounds. I love this bike.
    Define "very little" please.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikiguy View Post
    Define "very little" please.
    I took off all the reflector stuff and chain guard, which was a huge weight savings. I switched out the grips - the bolt on grips are so heavy and I have never had slippage with the soft grips that just slip on with a little alchohol. I got rid of the quick release seat clamp - can't understand why they put this heavy thing on with a reverb seat post - all you need is a super light weight, allen wrench seat clamp. The biggest change was to put on a different tire set up. I run tubeless with just a half cup of Stans. I changed the Bontrager XR4s out for a Specialized Purgatory 2.3 up front and a Specialized S works 2.2 Captain Control on the back. This tire set up change saved over a pound from the stock set up and I personally think these are the best tires money can buy for S. Cal conditions. That's all the changes I made from the stock set up and my bike is at 25.1 pounds. With that said, the stock set up is pretty sweet with SRAM XX (I have traditionally been an XTR guy, but now really like the SRAM). Also, I really like the Tricon wheels. I thought about changing out the Reverb and saving another pound, until I used it - now I think it is the best invention in MTB in the last 5 years. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Helps a lot, thanks for the reply......