I Have Gnarly Potential

Creaking sound on myf ew year old Gary Fisher

Riding latley i have been getting a persistant creeking sound comming from the seatpost area (frame meets seet post area)

I first thought it was the crank/BB area cause i noticed it when i pedaled with pressure on the chain side pedal, but then i noiced it was just because of the shift of weight from pedeling, if i just put alot of pressure on the seat post in either direction i hear a minor creek (needs to be body weight, normal pushing with your arms wasnt enough)

Also when i re tighten the seatpost it seems to go away for a tiny bit (very tiny)

I inspected it and diddnt see any cracks though.

Here is a pic of the bike and seatpost length i also use if thats a difference:

Any insight on what that could be would be great

[EDIT]
    Its also a thompson elite seatpost and the raild are ti. maby there is a oproblem with greasing in the seatpost or rails area, i searched that and seems many had that problem. hmm.
    Last edited by Krause; 07-14-2006 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    First thing I noticed is that your saddle is pointed to far down. (for the way I ride) And I think most people.
    You should notice that too much of your weight is landing/pushing on the handlebars the way the saddle is pointing. It appears that you are not sitting on the bike so your weight is evenly distributed.

Sorry for pointing out the negative first.

Second thing (the answer to the Q), pull the seatpost out and grease it. It can be Ford axle grease or similar. Also the saddle/seat rails need to be greased where they make contact with the clamping surface of the seatpost. It does not have to be ti-prep grease when greasing the rails. So should the bolts that hold the clamp together.
    Now that i think about it it could be the bolts that tighten the clamp. It is good to grease them so the do not gall.

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    pull the seatpost out and grease it. It can be Ford axle grease or similar. Also the saddle/seat rails need to be greased where they make contact with the clamping surface of the seatpost. It does not have to be ti-prep grease when greasing the rails. So should the bolts that hold the clamp together.
    Now that i think about it it could be the bolts that tighten the clamp. It is good to grease them so the do not gall.
    exactly
    [SIZE="1"]Kona Coiler[/SIZE]

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Thanks ill do that right away (soon as i find where i put the grease in my garage :P)

But i noticed that the saddle is not comfortable if i angle it higher, id have to move the seat post down a bit and then there is too much bend in my knees :/

My legs are Really long, and just from rider positioning usually the higher the seat post goes the more foward an angle the seat needs to be pointed.