mtbr member

creaking noises trek 4300 disc

When I ride, I start to hear creaking noises from the back of my bike. I'm not quite a toolhead, but could it be a bent axle or rim or possibly the brake pad rubbing on the rotor? I've tried playing with the brakes, but the darn thing still clicks and creaks only when I ride on it. Thanks.
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    You'd be able to see if the pads were contacting the rotors.

To check the axle, take the wheel off and spin the axle. If it won't spin smoothly, it's bent. Not smooth would mean it takes a lot of force to spin it and then it moves really easily and then gets stiff again. If it feels gritty, there's some crap in there - probably oughta get it serviced.

Check the bottom bracket for any sort of play.

Take note of when the sound occurs. If it's only when you pedal, then it's probably the bottom bracket or maybe the pedals. If it occurs whenever you move, maybe it's the axle(s).

In any event, probably a good idea to have a pro check it out.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    First just check to make sure that the rear quick release is tight enough. If it isn't, the axle/locknuts could be moving in the dropouts and causing a creak. The wheel may seem tight, but under load it could move, so just try tightening the qr a little bit and see if makes a difference.

I can't tell you how many times I have checked a bunch of other stuff first, then realized it was something simple like a loose qr.

Good luck deciphering and diagnosing the noise.....
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.