mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Upset Cracked Carbon Frame - TREK ELITE 9.7

Anybody had any experience with cracked carbon frame?? The bike was bought new in Sep 2010 and has had very light use mainly on roads. Crack is on a rivet on the inside of the frame near the rear brake calliper. The rivet holds the brake cable to the frame. Bike is like new - never been crashed or dropped. My local dealer submitted a warranty claim but Trek have rejected it saying the damage is from small stones hitting the frame over a period of time. Complete rubbish!!

The crack clearly comes from the rivet as shown by the attached photographs. It would be highly unlikely that a stone of sufficient size could hit that exact spot given its position on the frame. Small stone impacts would leave other marks and scratches on the frame which are not evident.

Does anyone have the name & e-mail for the main warranty manager at Trek??

Very unhappy to receive such poor support from Trek.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry to see this.

I would think your LBS should step up and put the pressure on Trek. Wouldn't Trek be more likely to listen to one of their outlets rather than one individual consumer?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    True...work with ur lbs. They have much more pull

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    In my experience warranty claims and the speed in which they are handled are directly related to the relationship that the LBS has and maintains with the field rep and the mothership. I'll assume your the original owner and you have the paperwork too back up your claim. Are you dealing with the shop that you purchased the bike from ? If so I'd escalate the claim while staying calm and polite. Trek will make good on your claim if your the original owner. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have to echo what the others are saying here. Bottom line is to get your shop to tell them that it is a manufacturing defect, not a rock strike. Not singling you out here, but companies need to make sure that the person making the warranty claim has sufficient experience with the product/situations to validate it. You may be able to get them to acquiesce to your demands, but it is going to take way more effort on your part than it has to.

If your shop won't go to bat for you, find one that will, they are out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Back in '08 my Fuel EX 8 had a crack as well. I took it to my LBS, they did the paperwork with Trek (took photos and stuff). Trek was great at this, since their frames have lifetime warranty, and they upgraded me to a Fuel EX 9!

Vegan on the S-Works
    This Trek didnt even get warranty. Trek Australia called it 'seat bounce' LMAO!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Trek's excuse is BS!!

From what I see in the photo .. the failure is on top of the tube.
    How is a rock going to fly UP and hit the top of the frame?

I have a 2009 Top Fuel SSL and so far have had no problems, but from your writeup I sure hope I never have any frame problems.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
    This Trek didnt even get warranty. Trek Australia called it 'seat bounce' LMAO!

Not enough seat post insertion.

Ride More, Whine Less
    MTBCY--
    Sorry to hear about the bike. If you get nowhere with a warranty claim, then look at repair services. Carbon is fixable. There is a guy that posts here on MTBR (Genshammer) that has a business that does repair work (Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair). You could give him a PM to look at your bike. You could also get a home kit for the repair too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Problem with that bike is not enough seat post insertion below the top tube. This has been discussed Ad nauseam.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am on Treks side. That is NOT normal wear. Something has impacted that frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Trek warrantied my old 98 9800 and gave me a 2011 9.8 elite. I got it within 2 weeks of brining a frame in. My family has done business with this shop for years and the shop has been a trek dealer since it opened 20+ years ago. Those two things helped greatly.

Try calling the warranty dept and see what can be done. If they won't work with you get it repaired by the suggestion above or Calfee design does repair also.

mtbr member
    Whatever happened?