mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Cracked 2008 Feul EX 9.5 (structural or just paint?)

Over this last summer, there has been some creaking that had been getting progressively worse and worse. I always thought it was the Thompson post in the carbon frame since it got worse depending on seat height. The lower the seat, the more creaking.

So after giving the frame a good clean and polish I find these. They seem to be at the joints in the carbon. The one at the downtube/headtube lug junction is about three quarters of the way around the tube. Near the bottom bracket it is about half way around. I have heard of the road frames developing cracks in the paint where the chainstays were bonded to the bottom bracket assembly from flex, but never heard anything about this on the MTB frames. Mine seems to be doing this at both ends of the downtube.
    I will be bringing it to a Trek dealer to look over, but I wanted to get a few opinions from others who may have come across something similar. That is, if it is a common problem.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked 2008 Feul EX 9.5 (structural or just paint?)-downtube-through-e-trek-logo-2.jpg  

Cracked 2008 Feul EX 9.5 (structural or just paint?)-downtube-headtube-lug-bottom-2.jpg  

Cracked 2008 Feul EX 9.5 (structural or just paint?)-downtube-bottom-bracket-view-bottom-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am not really sure how I was not able to spell Fuel correctly in the title.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is this really so rare that no one has seen or heard of this happening on the mountain frames?

mtbr member
    head into a trek dealer and see what they have to say- its prob just paint but even paint can be a warranty issue

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I agree take it to a Trek dealer and have them take a look at it. I had a warranty claim with my bike and Trek has fixed me up, and I'm going to be very happy when I get my new Trek Fuel Ex8. They have excellent customer service!
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Looks like paint to me. The head tube and BB are some of the strongest parts of the frame, more carbon, layers, resin, etc...

Urban Ninja
    probably just paint but Trek also has a paint warranty. 1 year I think..
    For Sale: EPIC

Send it!

www.rayscyclebicycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Brought it into the shop to have them check it out. The head mechanic agreed that it looked like a crack, but did not want to be the one to make the call. So the frame is on its way to Trek for them to decide.
    I know there is a one year paint warranty, but being a 2008 frame means I am a little past the coverage period.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So Trek confirmed it was only in the paint. Now once I get it back I will have to try to figure out what all the creaking was coming from if it is not a cracked frame.