mtbr member

Convince me to get a new Trek

It's time for a new light FS XC bike. So far I've narrowed it down to the Cannondale Scalpel, SC TBc, Turner Czar, and Trek Superfly 100. Why should I get the Trek over the others?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Which one's have you ridden ?

mtbr member

Re: Convince me to get a new Trek

I have had my Superfly 100 AL for about a month and it grows on me every time I ride it, I have about 85 miles on it now and 60 are dirty miles. It is a great platform to ride as is or upgrade as you can get the money together.

I test rode numerous bikes be and for the money the Superfly was the best bet, it also helps it was on sale and fit me well. It is getting great reviews across the board, I would have loved to be able to get into the elite model but $ held me back. Last time I looked you could find them discounted to about $1800, don't forget to negotiate some upgrades. I was able to get a tubeless setup with Rocket Rons and I highly recommend tubeless.

Posted with my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had to submit a warranty claim on my Superfly 100 SL. It didn't break and it was still perfectly rideable, just a small part that gets glued to the carbon came off (being intentionally vague). It wasn't really a big deal, the reason I submitted a warranty claim was just to have on record what had happened in the event that there were possibly other issues related to it down the road. My expectation was basically that Trek warranty would send me a new small part and a tube of super glue or just tell me to ride it, or etc., and my experience with other brands tells me that expectation would have turned into reality with another brand. Trek instead sent me a new Pro SL frameset, which goes so far above and beyond what they needed to do to keep me as a happy customer it's crazy. I have been considering getting a SuperSix or a Tarmac -- but after this experience I won't consider anything but a Madone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsjg View Post
    I had to submit a warranty claim on my Superfly 100 SL. It didn't break and it was still perfectly rideable, just a small part that gets glued to the carbon came off (being intentionally vague). It wasn't really a big deal, the reason I submitted a warranty claim was just to have on record what had happened in the event that there were possibly other issues related to it down the road. My expectation was basically that Trek warranty would send me a new small part and a tube of super glue or just tell me to ride it, or etc., and my experience with other brands tells me that expectation would have turned into reality with another brand. Trek instead sent me a new Pro SL frameset, which goes so far above and beyond what they needed to do to keep me as a happy customer it's crazy. I have been considering getting a SuperSix or a Tarmac -- but after this experience I won't consider anything but a Madone.

Just curious, did you have to send back your original frame? That'd be killer if not.

mtbr member
    Sorry it's been awhile and thanks for the responses. So far I've only ridden the scalpel (carbon 1) and was simply amazed. How do the ride characteristics compare?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    Just curious, did you have to send back your original frame? That'd be killer if not.
    They wanted the frame back. Typically in a warranty situation (in my experience anyway) the manufacturer will either want the frame back (less likely) or they will want proof that it has been destroyed or is broken beyond being able to be ridden (more likely).