mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Is Cobia the right call?

Looking at buying a brand new 2012 or 2013 Trek Cobia. At the 1100-1200 price range do you guys think this is the best bang for the buck? I am so tired of looking for that perfect bike and I think I finally found it with this one.

mtbr member
    I would think you could get the 2012 for around $1000. I paid $1050 for mine last year. When I looked I felt it was the best bang in that range. 10spd drivetrain and Air Shock is hard to find.

I would also consider the Airborne Goblin. Only problem is you can't test ride it but it is speced nicely.

With that said I love my Cobia. It is a great bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    I would think you could get the 2012 for around $1000. I paid $1050 for mine last year. When I looked I felt it was the best bang in that range. 10spd drivetrain and Air Shock is hard to find.

I would also consider the Airborne Goblin. Only problem is you can't test ride it but it is speced nicely.

With that said I love my Cobia. It is a great bike.
    Thanks for the insight, I am also thinking about trying to snag a 2012 X-Cal if its cheap enough.

mtbr member

Is Cobia the right call?

Xcal is a sweet ride. I almost bought it but drew the line at the Cobia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The frame is the same between the x-cal and cobia. The Reba fork alone is worth the upgrade. The x-cal wheels are easily converted to tubeless and x-7 vs x-5.

I bought the x-cal last year and haven't looks back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Xcal is a sweet ride. I almost bought it but drew the line at the Cobia.

I did the same thing. I had originally start looking at $600 bikes, and after raising my budget a few times, I drew the line at the Cobia. I picked it up Sunday afternoon, and tomorrow will take it on its maiden ride.

The only other bike in the same price range that really caught my eye was the Cannondale SL2 Trail 29, but the Cobia felt better to me after riding both. My 2013 Cobia was $1129. I did find a 2012 for $899, but all they had was a 21" and I need a 19.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam5 View Post
    I did the same thing. I had originally start looking at $600 bikes, and after raising my budget a few times, I drew the line at the Cobia. I picked it up Sunday afternoon, and tomorrow will take it on its maiden ride.

The only other bike in the same price range that really caught my eye was the Cannondale SL2 Trail 29, but the Cobia felt better to me after riding both. My 2013 Cobia was $1129. I did find a 2012 for $899, but all they had was a 21" and I need a 19.
    How tall are you? I am considering the 19" at 6'2".

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm an even 6'. I was told that either the 17.5" or the 19" would fit. After riding both around the shop's parking lot, the 19" felt better to me.

mtbr member

Is Cobia the right call?

6' and riding the 19"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just picked up a 2012 x-cal for $1279 and I think it was worth the upgrade. I really like this bike. I am 6' and I am riding a 19".

mtbr member

Is Cobia the right call?

6' with short legs riding 17.5" mamba with dropped negative rise stem and setback seat post, these bikes have relatively long top tubes

T.W.O
    What type of riding will you be doing? How long are you planning on riding, how many miles and how many times a week? If you are a more recreational rider and weekend warrior then you will be fine with the cobia. If you want something that will perform better than the xcal will be better and I wouldn't look back. Like someone said just the reba with poploc is worth the extra. If you can find a 2012 on discount or 2013 for reg price I don't think you can beat trek quality. Someone said airbourne, problem is you wont get fit in a shop and I know trek stands behind their product and really have a lot more invested in R&D.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I thought about the XCal over the Cobia, but the price diff between the 2013 Cobia and 2013 XCal was $430. Being a weekend warrior as opposed to a racer, I decided against it. Besides, I was originally looking at less expensive bikes and had already bumped my budget a few times.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: Is Cobia the right call?

Both are great bikes but most people don't get up for spending more on a bike.

I love my x cal!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Cobia the right call?-uploadfromtaptalk1360289317831.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just bought my Trek Cobia today. Love the bike. I did however ride a XCal and it's a really nice ride. But it was close to $500 more than the Cobia and I just couldn't pull it off.