Always last

Clattering noise on gila fork...

Anybody else have the shocks on the 4300 clatter when going over bumps? It only seems to happen when I going relatively fast. I'm not sure if thats the way its supposed to be or if something needs to be done with it.
    Last edited by Killswitch021; 07-31-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Always last
    *Bump* Should I expect something like this on this low end of a fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    careful with those, I have seen the lower legs come off on those. the coil spring, which is the only part that holds the lowers to the uppers, broke. the lowers then proceeded to slide off the uppers, with the wheel attached.

I wouldn't recommend one for any real off road use.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Yeah, and I saw a C-Dale Lefty blow up during a race a couple months ago - the rider left in an ambulance. Crap happens. It doesn't mean that everyone is going to have the same experience or even that it's common.

Killswitch021, that probably isn't normal. The RST forks aren't great, but what else do you expect from a bike costing $400? I worked at a shop where we got an RST fork that made a clacking sound when it returned to it's relaxed state. We sent it in and the customer got a new one free - I imagine the shop where you purchased your bike will do the same.

"Real" off road use is a matter of perspective. I wouldn't use an RST Gila fork, but the fork I use costs more than a 4300. It's all relative and you get what you pay for. See if you can get a warranty and keep riding. If you want to spend a couple hundred and get a slightly better fork - go for it. Just don't put too much stock into horror stories. Millions of those Gila forks are specced on bikes each year and that simply wouldn't happen if there were legitimate safety concerns.

Without actually hearing the "clattering noise" coming from you fork, I can only guess that it needs to be serviced. Take it back to the shop.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdrawn
    Yeah, and I saw a C-Dale Lefty blow up during a race a couple months ago - the rider left in an ambulance. Crap happens. It doesn't mean that everyone is going to have the same experience or even that it's common.

Killswitch021, that probably isn't normal. The RST forks aren't great, but what else do you expect from a bike costing $400? I worked at a shop where we got an RST fork that made a clacking sound when it returned to it's relaxed state. We sent it in and the customer got a new one free - I imagine the shop where you purchased your bike will do the same.

"Real" off road use is a matter of perspective. I wouldn't use an RST Gila fork, but the fork I use costs more than a 4300. It's all relative and you get what you pay for. See if you can get a warranty and keep riding. If you want to spend a couple hundred and get a slightly better fork - go for it. Just don't put too much stock into horror stories. Millions of those Gila forks are specced on bikes each year and that simply wouldn't happen if there were legitimate safety concerns.

Without actually hearing the "clattering noise" coming from you fork, I can only guess that it needs to be serviced. Take it back to the shop.
    take one apart, then come back and tell us what you think. the coil spring is literally the only part holding the lower legs on. the new ones on the 08 bikes seems to be better, but I'd still like to see the inside before judging. At that price point, go rigid.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    The '08 RSTs are better? They put springs in some bikes that are incredibly too stiff. Trust me, I'l be taking plenty '08 Gilas apart to install the replacement springs RST is sending the shop.

Is the Gila a great fork? No way. It has lots of flaws. However, it is a necessary part in the grand scheme of things. It works - not incredibly well, I'll be the first to admit that. Anyone who rides a 4300 and then rides a 4500 can appreciate the better fork. But, it does work well enough for the vast majority of riders at that price point.

Rigid? You'd never sell a bike with a rigid fork to a consumer who is looking at that price point. If you can do that then you need to be in sales, my man.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    killswitch asked about his fork, not about OE specs and what sells off dealership floors in your area.

In my opinion, the Gila fork is trash. the "clattering" noise is the coil springs hitting the upper tubes. eventually these springs can fatigue and fail. That in turn allows the lowers to separate from the uppers.

It's not about the price point, it's about the intended use. And if I were in his shoes I'd either ante up for a sufficient suspension fork, or go rigid.

Always last
    Thanks for the replies. I will take it to the bike shop to see what they think of it, I might even take a video of it so they know what the noise sounds like. I do plan on saving up for a new bike, but with college expenses coming up, it won't be for a while. So a new fork seems like it will be more in the budget.