Double-metric mtb man

New question here. Chocolate or White Cake?

Hi all,

I've had a very productive day at the LBS doing test rides. I have found that the genisis frame geometry I'm riding now is what I'm used to and like, so I'll likely be going for a Cake for my first FS ride.

My problem now is which "flavor" of Cake.... I've got my choice between an '05 Cake 2 or an '06 Cake 3 DLX. The Cake 2 has a nicer parts kit but the Cake 3 has the extra inch of travel.

For those riding Cakes, would you mind sharing your thoughts and experiences (and possibly why you selected the "flavor" you did)?

Thanks,

Psycho Mike
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    go for more travel unless you are xc racer.

Double-metric mtb man
    Yeah, sorta what I was thinking... especially now that I've found I can possibly swing a 2dlx. I'll try for the best of both, longer travel and better parts.

Rider of Bikes
    They improved the '06 as well. The older Cakes only have two bearings in the pivot which proved to be problematic. In the '06, the changed a few things including the addition of a third bearing in the pivot on the drive side. They also improve the standover height a bit. I say go for the '06... you can always upgrade parts later. For what it's worth, I have an '06 Cake 1 DLX, and I absolutely love it. Six months of riding it, and zero problems. Five inches of squish is nice to have.
    [SIZE="5"]dirtyharrys.net[/SIZE]
    http://dirtyharrys.net

mtbr member
    I have a 04 2dlx. I race it xc and tried a dh winter race on snow. I know I am faster on it than my old hardtail. Also take it off jumps, logs, etc. I wouldn't want any less travel than 5" now that I have it.

If you want to see me riding it go to google video and search coffee mill - there is a video of me riding and another of the finals which I didn't make.

LA CHÈVRE
    Go for the 2006. Many improvements as bikeboyjeff said. Add to the list a much improved cable routing. The older ones had so many tight bends and corners, rear derailleur shifting sucked quickly.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Double-metric mtb man
    Thanks for the replies.

Jimmy! Cool video (esp. because it's winter). I've got a deal worked out with the LBS for the '06 2DLX, so I'll be a happy rider this summer.

I'm glad to see that Fisher improved things with chain suck and so forth from the early '05 models. I'm also impressed that I'll be losing about 4 lbs from my hardtail in going with the Cake.

Lighter, FS, 5" travel and better parts...sheesh, I'm really looking forward to this.

mtbr member
    Thats cool Psycho, you're gonna have fun. Last night I put on some new xt cranks and my buddy stopped by and next thing i know it I am jumping off a board on top of a tv in my driveway.

Here is the link to that video....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...68312556346165

Dam - i need to figure out to insert a picture.
    Last edited by jimonthecake; 04-12-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Double-metric mtb man
    Oh...'nother question...

The Bonty tires that come stock: they worth riding to slicks or should they be circular filed asap? I had the Jones XR's on my Fisher hardtail and got some miles before I ran them into slicks...they weren't great, but they were okay until they ran out of tread.

Are the ACX's in the same category or should I nix them right at the start? I'm considering going to some Stan's and making use of the tubless wheels with a set of Panaracer Fire XC Pros...but if I can get some miles on the ACX's, I might hold off until the fall when I can get tires locally for a better price.

mtbr member
    Not sure what those look like, but I had the bontrager tubeless ready tires with their juice and i was having flats, losing air, and tires would burp when landing jumps. They sucked and now I ride them in the spring with tubes on the streets until the trails are dry enough to ride on. In the winter I was riding on kenda 2.6" tubed tires. Those work great in the snow. Now, I am about to put on some Kenda nevegals tubeless and hope for the best.

I would try your tires out since they come with the bike, who knows maybe they work good. If you don't like them, put them on ebay and buy some more of those fire tires. I have those on my homegrown that I never ride anymore because the cake is so much funner.

Have fun changing tires on those rims. haha.

Double-metric mtb man
    Fair enough. I'll keep the tubes for now. The treads, well, we'll see... the Panaracers have the same sort of open block pattern as the ACX's, but a lot deeper and more square. They work well for the local terrain, which is either hardpack or sticky as all h3ll mud.

I'll try them for now...besides, I won't really need the panaracers until the snow flies.