mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Chain suck when shifting gears. How to fix it?

I have an 05.5' GF cake2 dlx with the updated pivot bearing parts, and recently i started getting chain suck when shifting gears. I havent gotten any problems when the bike was new but after a few months and the same style of shifting, i am getting chain suck. Now i thought i cleaned the chain but i guess i can try cleaning it better but other than that any suggestions? I know when to shift gears so i dont think thats a major problem, but it could be.
    06' Gary Fisher Cake 2dlx with Azonic MTN X Pedals
    06' Giant Reign 2 with Wellgo MG-1 Pedals

sushi lover
    May 2006
    check the chain rings, cassette, and chain for wear -- it may be time to replace all three of them... in the future, try cleaning the drive train after every dirty ride -- this will slow down the wear and beat back the dreaded suck

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I probably have 100 miles on my bike. How fast do they go bad?

sushi lover
    May 2006
    I would expect the drive train to last more than 100 miles, but it depends on your riding -- getting the drive train muddy and dirty and continuing to ride will accelerate chain, ring, and cassette wear considerably... how about taking it in to your LBS and see what they have to say before plopping down the cash for a new drive train?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What's the best way to clean the chain and drive train? Just wipe it down with the a rag? Should I use soap and water? And just be sure to lube it afterward?

Bike Breaker
    Sep 2004
    I use simple green to clean mine

Crash Test Dummy
    I didn't have a horrible time with chainsuck, but it did happen every once in a while. Once I changed the cranks to XT it went away.
    It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care

monkey's throw poo
    Jun 2004

see...

Quote Originally Posted by liftmys10
    I have an 05.5' GF cake2 dlx with the updated pivot bearing parts, and recently i started getting chain suck when shifting gears. I havent gotten any problems when the bike was new but after a few months and the same style of shifting, i am getting chain suck. Now i thought i cleaned the chain but i guess i can try cleaning it better but other than that any suggestions? I know when to shift gears so i dont think thats a major problem, but it could be.

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/chain_suck.html or

http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/
    two six is bet-ta

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Trek and Gary Fishers are notorious for having chain suck due to the geometry of the frames, especially genesis geometry. There is an extremely narrow margin where the drivetrain will perform normally for some as I had a sugar 3+ a few years back and couldn't get it to shift properly for a couple of years as it took me that long to find the "right" drivetrain components and adjustments. You have to monitor the cleaning, lubing, adjusting very often and carefully relative to other bikes, but once you find the right set up you should be good to go.

mtbr member

CAKE = Chainsuck

This is definitely an issue with the geometry and not your drivetrain/chain. I have the 05 cake dlx and I have chainsuck issues every now and then. There are a few ways to defeat this. The most simple form is to put some heavy duty zip ties around the chain stay where the gap is. Using a sram chain will also help out some. I have also heard a different type of BB will help out but I have not tried this one.

When you sit on the cake that space between the say and the ring opens up pretty wide. I have also found that double wrapping the stay with two lizard skins pushed up in the gap helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dude, lube your chain! I use way more than anyone would recomend and I never get chain suck....Use a real oil, not that wax crap, that stuff sucks for mtb.
    Old guy in the woods

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Describe the problem that you are having in more detail, please.

A lot of people call a dropped chain, chainsuck...... it's not.

Chainsuck is when the chain fails to drop off of the bottom of a chain ring. The chain then wraps on itself and the cranks will seize. This is caused by worn rings and mud.... and is made even worse by using a new chain.

Chain Drop, otoh, is when the chain drops off of the middle or small ring onto the bottom bracket.

What issue does your bike have?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Describe the problem that you are having in more detail, please.

A lot of people call a dropped chain, chainsuck...... it's not.

Chainsuck is when the chain fails to drop off of the bottom of a chain ring. The chain then wraps on itself and the cranks will seize. This is caused by worn rings and mud.... and is made even worse by using a new chain.

Chain Drop, otoh, is when the chain drops off of the middle or small ring onto the bottom bracket.

What issue does your bike have?
    Its when im pedaling while downshifting the gears (the ones on the rim), the chain gets stuck where the small gear and the arm that holds the rim in the rear. This happens when im on the smallest ring pedal gear. My rings arent warn out and the chain is pretty cleaned and lubed up always.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Wait a minute. Are you saying that the problem is at the rear wheel? The chain is dropping between the rear cassette and the axle or spokes?

If that's the case, you just need a simple rear derailler adjustment. THe limit screws must be set to keep this from happening. Your LBS can fix that in a minute. If I'm mis-understanding you... I apologize.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Wait a minute. Are you saying that the problem is at the rear wheel? The chain is dropping between the rear cassette and the axle or spokes?

If that's the case, you just need a simple rear derailler adjustment. THe limit screws must be set to keep this from happening. Your LBS can fix that in a minute. If I'm mis-understanding you... I apologize.
    Sorry i wasnt clear, the problem is in the front ring gear at the pedals. I was just saying when im shifting my rear gears, thats when the chain suck happens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sorry i wasnt clear, the problem is in the front ring gear at the pedals. I was just saying when im shifting my rear gears, thats when the chain suck happens.
    It sounds like it's either a chainline problem or crank / chainring. It could also be frame alignment.

The good news is that even if you can't fix it by changing cranks / chainline, you could always just ad a chain-keeper or something similar. They're cheap and they work.

Filthyrob
    I have a Sugar 3+ that has a similar issue. It has done it pretty much from the outset and is simply caused by the really tight geometry IMHO.

I WILL get the chain sucked up if I change from the middle chain ring to the smallest chain ring if I have anything more than minimal load on the chain. My solution? Be very careful about not having any load on the chain when I make this shift. The other thing I do is have a quick link on the chain. When I do get chain suck there is no way to yank the chain out of there. I don't know how it slips in there so easy cause there is no way I can get it out except to break the chain and fish it out. Anyway the quick link makes that a 1 minute operation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by filthyrob
    I have a Sugar 3+ that has a similar issue. It has done it pretty much from the outset and is simply caused by the really tight geometry IMHO.

I WILL get the chain sucked up if I change from the middle chain ring to the smallest chain ring if I have anything more than minimal load on the chain. My solution? Be very careful about not having any load on the chain when I make this shift. The other thing I do is have a quick link on the chain. When I do get chain suck there is no way to yank the chain out of there. I don't know how it slips in there so easy cause there is no way I can get it out except to break the chain and fish it out. Anyway the quick link makes that a 1 minute operation.
    Fortunately for me, i can put my chain back on the ring very easily. It never gives me the trouble you described. I think my problem is more user problem because when i shift gears, i have load on the pedals. Thats the only time when it happens. I just noticed that today when i went for a ride. If i shift without alot of load, i have no problems. But when i shift to a lower gear while trying to climb up, the load is whats causing my chain to bunch up near the crank.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If i shift without alot of load, i have no problems. But when i shift to a lower gear while trying to climb up, the load is whats causing my chain to bunch up near the crank.
    Yep. You should never shift the front under load. Even avoid shifting the rear under severe loads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by filthyrob
    I don't know how it slips in there so easy cause there is no way I can get it out except to break the chain and fish it out. Anyway the quick link makes that a 1 minute operation.
    It slips in there because you are on the bike and the suspension si sagged. That allows more clearance for the chain to drop in.

The solution is to compress the rear while removing the stuck chain. If you get someone to sit on your bike when that happens, it'll be easy to remove the chain.