mtbr member
    May 2010

Can I Upgrade to Disc Brakes - Older Trek 8000

I own a 1996 Trek 8000 SHX. Is it possible for me to upgrade my standard brakes to disc brakes. I'm relatively new to working on my bike but am up for the challenge (if it happens to be a challenge). Anyone know if this is possible or should i just forget about it and enjoy the bike as is?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Hmmm... Check is your rims have the 6 hole pattern that the rotor mounts on to. Then check your fork and frame for the 2 mounting holes on the left side of ur bike.

http://www.dionm.net/photos/bike/DSC02855sml.jpg

I upgraded to disks on my geared rig. I love em but they are substantially heavier and my particular setup of Hayes MX 1's need to be frequently adjusted.

I would say its worth it

mtbr member
    May 2010

I will check that out

I will look to see if the mounting holes exist ( i had no idea that this was necessary. Thanks for the heads up). Also, not sure i am interested in something i must constantly adjust. As is, my older 8000 is super maintenance free and i like that. If i have the ability to upgrade i'll have to do some thinking on it. Thanks for the info

All 26.5" all the time!
    You'd need new wheels, a new fork, and an adapter for the rear caliper -- plus the brakes. Are your brake levers integrated with the shift levers? Add in shifters too.

mtbr member
    May 2010

They are integrated

My shifters are integrated with the brake levers. This sounds like it might get costly.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Your best bet is to go with a "mullet". That's a cable operated disc up front and keep the rim brakes in the back. Most of your stopping power comes from the front anyway.