mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Cake Swingarm Replacement Questions

Yo.

I have a 9 month old Cake 3 ('04, I bought it on sale late july last year). I love the bike.

For the last couple of months I've been riding with one of those chainstay-slap protector things, and I took it off last night to clean her up for a long ride this weekend. When I took the whatsamajiggy off the chainstay, I found a significant dent in the middle of the chainstay, almost a crease.

It definately looks like the frame is bent (outward), but I'll find out for sure when I take it to my LBS later this morning, and have them check the spacing.

So, I have two questions:

1: Is it wishful thinking to hope that this is a warranty issue?
    2: Is the only difference between the Cake and the Cake DLX in the swingarm? So, could i get a DLX swingarm (I'm wary of the carbon fiber anyway, plus I'd like the 5" travel) to replace the old, thrashed rear tri? Even if I had to buy a different Swinger, that would be ok, as I could sell my on ebay or wherever.

Thanks alot for your help!

The Machine Is Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    Yo.

I have a 9 month old Cake 3 ('04, I bought it on sale late july last year). I love the bike.

For the last couple of months I've been riding with one of those chainstay-slap protector things, and I took it off last night to clean her up for a long ride this weekend. When I took the whatsamajiggy off the chainstay, I found a significant dent in the middle of the chainstay, almost a crease.

It definately looks like the frame is bent (outward), but I'll find out for sure when I take it to my LBS later this morning, and have them check the spacing.

So, I have two questions:

1: Is it wishful thinking to hope that this is a warranty issue?
    2: Is the only difference between the Cake and the Cake DLX in the swingarm? So, could i get a DLX swingarm (I'm wary of the carbon fiber anyway, plus I'd like the 5" travel) to replace the old, thrashed rear tri? Even if I had to buy a different Swinger, that would be ok, as I could sell my on ebay or wherever.

Thanks alot for your help!
    It may be wishful thinking, but if that dent was there when you bought it, you may have a claim (hopefully, you registered the bike with Fisher and you have the original bill of sale as well).

I would also recommend you contact Fisher directly concerning replacement swingarms. Their service reps have been very helpful in regards to warranty questions I have had (I was even floored when I found out that they STILL have replacement frames and swingarms for my steed, a 1998 Joshua X1)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    How do I contact G.F directly? I can't find a number on their webpage.

The Machine Is Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    How do I contact G.F directly? I can't find a number on their webpage.
    Here's what you do...

On the main page, you'll see a link near the top that says "Questions"...click on that, and a pop-up window will appear...

In that window, scroll all the way down to the bottom, and you'll see a text area where you can send any questions you may have directly to a Fisher rep

They should get back to you within a day